Elantra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes my trunk on a 2013 Elantra opens up after I park and I don't know why. Am I stepping on the latch?

Does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can't count the number of times this had happened to me!! I'de be driving down the road, and I would see the trunk lid fly up in the rear view mirror. I was able to figure out that it was the heel of my foot lifting the latch as I exited the car. Therefore my trunk would be unlatched for a night or so! I would try monitoring your trunk after you get out.

If the trunk is never open then it could be dreaded FOB ghost! Many people have complained about the FOB's being too sensitive.

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is something you'll definitely want to let your dealership know about. It would suck to have this happen on the highway, unsafe.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wow I've never had that problem before but that doesnt sound very safe.
The FOB will not open the trunk if the engine is running; maybe not even if the key is just in the ignition.

I haven't checked out the mechanism on the Elantra yet but I prefer to have the springs on my trunks adjusted so that the trunk actually OPENS UP every time the latch is released.

·
Registered
80 Posts
well no your trunk flying open is not exactly a safety issue.

but yea its more than possible the latch is being dinged on exit and entry. If its a real problem you could consider trying to relocate the latch. I assume its only a few screws...

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's the small device that allows you to lock, unlock, open the trunk, and set off panic from a distance. (Probably attached to your keyring)

·
Registered
363 Posts
well no your trunk flying open is not exactly a safety issue.

but yea its more than possible the latch is being dinged on exit and entry. If its a real problem you could consider trying to relocate the latch. I assume its only a few screws...
Do you realize what's needed to relocate a latch? LOL
No one is relocating a latch on a 2013 elantra.
This is a situation where the locking feature of the latch needs to be looked into and what's allowing it to release.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm gonna say you're hitting the trunk release button on the key fob. if it's in you're pocket when you get in or out of the car, one of the keys on your key ring may be hitting the button on it. as for the trunk opening while driving, that is a completely different issue unsless you have the push to start system in your car and you are doing the same thing with them in your pocket.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts