Elantra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In order to replace back light bulbs, one needs to remove the roof liner. The "screws" all seem loose to start with. How does one remove the screws without damaging them? Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In order to replace back light bulbs, one needs to remove the roof liner. The "screws" all seem loose to start with. How does one remove the screws without damaging them? Thank you.
I learned a bit about these "screws" having similar issues on my 2012 Elantra. The OEM part is 86590-28000 , and is called a Fender Liner Clip. They are used in many places around the car, including the rear trunk liner, in the engine compartment, and of course, to hold the fender liner in place.

The clip is actually a butterfly-type anchor that has a split in it. You press the anchor through the part you wish to hold, and then through the body of the car (fender/hood/trunk lid), etc. The screw is then tightened which spreads the anchor and holds it in place. The problem is they are loose fitting and don't work that great. I've been replacing them at a good rate. Cost @ $1.50/ea from the dealer.

I recently learned these have been redesigned by Hyundai to fit better (slightly thicker anchor), and now press in without needing a screwdriver. The OEM part number for the redesigned clip/anchor is 86595-2T500, and the same price as the other one.

I have both and will be doing a comparison as I change them out to see which work better, but right off the bat I can see the size difference in the new part (thickness) so I expect this should resolve the loose fit issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts