Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year everyone,

I have -- or should I say had -- a 2011 Elantra Touring with 180K miles on it. Original owner. Recently put about $2K into it so that it lasts for a few more years. Then my son rear-ended someone and totaled it. :-(

Right now it's at a body shop and they told me it would be too expensive to repair (at least $11K, since front bags deployed). They told me they would be willing to dispose of it for me but they are not giving me any money for it. Should I just let it go? It's got some newer stuff on it like all almost brand new rims and tires, but otherwise it's of course an old car albeit one that was running fine. How much do you think I might be able to get for it at a junk yard in this condition? I suspect it might not be wrth the hassle and additional cost of towing it to the yard, but I want to double check. TIA

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Tire

· Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear.

Take some photos of the car, inside and out, and email then to your local salvage yards to see if they have an interest. If they do, they may dispatch one of their tow trucks over.

You may also want to consider stripping off any good stuff and let the body shop dispose of the hulk.

Now is a bad time to buy a used car because prices are still inflated due to shortages. If you can swing it financially, you can buy a new Kia Forte for around $22,000 and a new Elantra for a little more. On the Forte, check with your insurance company for premiums as Kias are undergoing a theft increase (Google Kia Boys for the details).

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I ended up disposing of it through the body shop after talking to several local junk yards, and got a $100 for it. Will put that in the "buy a car" jar :)

Yes, will probably aim at a Honda, Toyota or Subaru

1 - 6 of 6 Posts