Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Elantra with 14,000 miles on it. 2 weeks ago the tire started making a thumping vibration noise. I took it to the dealer for regular service plus the noise. 8 hrs. later they call me to tell me the car is done. They tell me the tire is cupping and I have to rotate the tires. Why no one called me to ask if I wanted it done...I don't know. Every time hubby tried to say something about low quality tires, the service guy cut him off. Now, every thing I have been reading points to shock, balance, cheap tires or alignment issues not lack of tire rotation. Can some one who has some knowledge on this please help me out. Hubby says he will rotate the tires then when it still thumps on the other side of the car we will take it back and exchange some words with this service advisor. Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Now, every thing I have been reading points to shock, balance, cheap tires or alignment issues not lack of tire rotation.
It can be all of the above including not being rotated.
Is there some GOOD reason that they were not rotated in 12,000 miles ??
(There is no good reason.)

You should still be under the Bumper-to-Bumper warranty and you MIGHT be able to talk them into a complimentary alignment but that is a "wear" item too and they aren't really obligated to do ANYTHING for you under warranty since it appears that the tires were not rotated and inspected like they should have been.

Hunudai does NOT warranty tires; that is the respective tire maker.
Your hubby sounds like he is going to turn this into an argument when it really should NOT be. The most you can realistically hope for is a pro-rated allowance on a replacement tire. If he is not reasonable about it, y'all can expect.......nothing.

Sorry but that's the way it IS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had cars 6 and 7 years and not rotated tires and NEVER had a problem. I wasn't looking for a free service. I know tires aren't warrentied.
I just want an answer that I can believe in. Like a second opinion.
My question was basically does it sound like the dealer is just looking for an easy answer and not looking to see if something further has caused this issue. Can not rotating solely cause this issue? Will rotating fix the thumping or will it just be on the other side of the car?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had cars 6 and 7 years and not rotated tires and NEVER had a problem. I wasn't looking for a free service. I know tires aren't warrentied.
My question was basically does it sound like the dealer is just looking for an easy answer and not looking to see if something further has caused this issue. Can not rotating solely cause this issue? Will rotating fix the thumping or will it just be on the other side of the car?
deb the best thing you can do is go to your search engine and search cupping tires, tires cupping or something to that nature. You'll find alot information. Also search extend tire life.

·
Registered
363 Posts
if you believe that one of the problems could be that it's because of cheap tires, you can start with googling the make and model of your tire to see what issues others are having if any.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Once the tire is ruined it's always going to be ruined. I doubt the dealer told you if you rotate the now ruined tires your problems would be solved.

Think of this ... The Super Dome had been in Louisiana for 29 years and they never had a flooding problem then Katrina came along. So you've had a car for 6 or 7 years. I'm going to say others have had cars longer. Some they had tire problems with, others they didn't.

Again, if you want to inform yourself go search cupping tires.

·
Registered
137 Posts
1) I have had cars 6 and 7 years and not rotated tires and NEVER had a problem.

2) Can not rotating solely cause this issue?

3) Will rotating fix the thumping or will it just be on the other side of the car?
1) You just got lucky.
On most cars, the tires on the front and back wear differently. That is perfectly normal and mostly unavoidable and rotating regularly balances out that different wear.

2) Yes and no. NOT rotating can make a small problem that would not be noticeable turn into a big one that wears a single tire prematurely.
But there has to be some little thing there to start with.
A slight tire defect, a slight alignment problem, slight damage due to a pothole, etc.

3) No rotating at this point likely will not really fix anything. The noise will just move and then you will probably be wearing out a different tire.

It might, however, allow you to go a lot longer before you really HAVE to change out any tires or pay for an alignment job. In my opinion, you should consider that ONLY if cash is REAL tight at the moment.

In addition to not rotating your tires, how often did the pressure get checked ?? Just simply having the pressure low on that one tire can make it wear funny; sometimes fairly quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts