Discussion Starter #2
To start....

dislike how it feels more driver focused & faster than the Elantra coupe
LOVE hot it feels more driver focused & faster than the Elantra coupe

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Love the car but I miss the little storage bins on my Accord. Anyone know if the tech package has storage in the top part of the center armrest? Could it be retrofitted to the GLS? If not, anyone have any ideas how to mod it to use the waste space? Everything else in the car is soooo well thought out that it seems incredible that they missed out on this one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Love the car but I miss the little storage bins on my Accord. Anyone know if the tech package has storage in the top part of the center armrest? Could it be retrofitted to the GLS? If not, anyone have any ideas how to mod it to use the waste space? Everything else in the car is soooo well thought out that it seems incredible that they missed out on this one.
I looked at what the tech package includes and there isn't any mention of different/more storage bins. tech package is all audio, video and electrical stuff.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have had our '13 GT for all of a day, but impressions so far:
Love:
1) Fantastic styling. Hands-down the best looking car in its class
2) Really nice interior, particulary given the price. Great variety of textures and finishes, upholstered panels where other cars have plastic, etc. Have a look at the interior of, say, a Chevy Sonic or a Mazda 3 and you'll see what I mean.
3) Best batch of standard features in its class. Lots of nice touches like fog lights and heated seats and remote-adjustable mirrors and electric windows and door locks that can cost you a bundle more on other cars.
4) Quiet, smooth ride. Now I may be a bit out of touch here (my previous cars include a lowered Miata that I autocross and vintage Mustangs that look great but will make you deaf). The Elantra GT is a world apart in terms of ride quality and being quiet enough to actually hear a conversation spoken at normal volumes.
5) Practicality/usefulness. Will see how close we actually get to the (possibly overinflated) 39mpg mark, but so far the car seems to be a real fuel sipper. For hauling stuff home, the rear seats that actually fold flat (as opposed to "well, almost" on many other cars) make for (once again) best-in-class capacity. It's almost like the car is saying "I dare you to buy so much crap that it won't all fit". A challenge my wife may be a little too willing to take. Which brings me to...
Hate:
Hate is such a harsh term. Let's just say I've found one minor annoyance:
1) Digging through the various Satellite Radio options requires a bit of a stretch, and too much time spent looking at the screen. Best to find the channels you want and pre-set them; trying to do this while driving is almost as stupid as texting.

That's it, for now. Will have to do some more driving to see if anything else becomes apparent. I have to say that after a good deal of shopping and test driving (Chevy Sonic, Chevy Cruze, Honda Civic, Mazda 2, Mazda 3, Hyundai Veloster, Hyundai Accent), I'm extremely pleased with the Elantra GT.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have had our '13 GT for all of a day, but impressions so far:
Love:
1) Fantastic styling. Hands-down the best looking car in its class
2) Really nice interior, particulary given the price. Great variety of textures and finishes, upholstered panels where other cars have plastic, etc. Have a look at the interior of, say, a Chevy Sonic or a Mazda 3 and you'll see what I mean.
3) Best batch of standard features in its class. Lots of nice touches like fog lights and heated seats and remote-adjustable mirrors and electric windows and door locks that can cost you a bundle more on other cars.
4) Quiet, smooth ride. Now I may be a bit out of touch here (my previous cars include a lowered Miata that I autocross and vintage Mustangs that look great but will make you deaf). The Elantra GT is a world apart in terms of ride quality and being quiet enough to actually hear a conversation spoken at normal volumes.
5) Practicality/usefulness. Will see how close we actually get to the (possibly overinflated) 39mpg mark, but so far the car seems to be a real fuel sipper. For hauling stuff home, the rear seats that actually fold flat (as opposed to "well, almost" on many other cars) make for (once again) best-in-class capacity. It's almost like the car is saying "I dare you to buy so much crap that it won't all fit". A challenge my wife may be a little too willing to take. Which brings me to...
Hate:
Hate is such a harsh term. Let's just say I've found one minor annoyance:
1) Digging through the various Satellite Radio options requires a bit of a stretch, and too much time spent looking at the screen. Best to find the channels you want and pre-set them; trying to do this while driving is almost as stupid as texting.

That's it, for now. Will have to do some more driving to see if anything else becomes apparent. I have to say that after a good deal of shopping and test driving (Chevy Sonic, Chevy Cruze, Honda Civic, Mazda 2, Mazda 3, Hyundai Veloster, Hyundai Accent), I'm extremely pleased with the Elantra GT.
Quite awesome you drove all those cars that are very much like the Elantra before buying the Elantra.

The one thing you "hated" isnt that bad, it could be worse!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like. Live With. Must Fix

Like. The styling, big roof, back up camera, leg room, blue leather- so old skool. I love all the space in the back for storage.

Live With. gutless but fuel efficient motor. Valve tap at idle.

Must Fix. SUSPENSION SUPSENSION SUSPENSION. The rear end hops around like a Buick Century with a live axle. Squishy in the corners, terribly dynamics while trail-braking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Loving this car, particularly I like the mechanical feel of the shifter (some people hate it), low end torque under light throttle, quiet smooth ride, and the panoramic roof (can't wait til summer!)

Dislikes; Drive by wire, when I want full throttle, give me full throttle for **** sakes!! That being said, full throttle performance sucks, it should be faster than my old Sunfire GT, at least the numbers suggest it should! Also, have yet to come even close to the posted fuel economy numbers!! Even shifting like a granny, best I've gotten MIX, 8.6L/100km (27MPG). Have yet to go on a strictly highway drive yet... so we'll see. But still, the city numbers are supposed to be 7.XL/100km, and I haven't gotten close to that :/

·
Registered
138 Posts
Loving this car, particularly I like the mechanical feel of the shifter (some people hate it), low end torque under light throttle, quiet smooth ride, and the panoramic roof (can't wait til summer!)

Dislikes; Drive by wire, when I want full throttle, give me full throttle for **** sakes!! That being said, full throttle performance sucks, it should be faster than my old Sunfire GT, at least the numbers suggest it should! Also, have yet to come even close to the posted fuel economy numbers!! Even shifting like a granny, best I've gotten MIX, 8.6L/100km (27MPG). Have yet to go on a strictly highway drive yet... so we'll see. But still, the city numbers are supposed to be 7.XL/100km, and I haven't gotten close to that :/
Glad to hear from a real Elantra GT owner once again. Wicked color choice btw, seen the pictures :)

What are the MPG numbers for the Elantra GT?

27MPG isn't too bad considering you just got the car. Usually you have to wait till after the engines breaks in or even further to get the suggested MPG's. it wont happen right away.

·
Registered
84 Posts
32/39 are the numbers they boast... and 27 is the best I have gotten so far. I'm not going to officially complain until summer, cause generally cars use more fuel in colder weather. And I take in affect I have a bit of a lead foot sometimes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Love the overall look and feel of the car and really like the panoramic roof.

Hate the little @#$%# engineer who designed the switch for the panoramic roof. I would like to castrate the little turd. Why in the world would they put a switch to open and close the inside cover and then make the switch that opens and closes the roof also open the inside cover also? i have owned the car for almost two months and have yet to figure out how to get the roof to open in position 1 or 2 without closing the inside cover first about half the time (not the intended action).

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just push the button up, then pull it down to tilt it open. Maybe I'm not grasping what your complaint is on that. But I have no issues. Although I have thought the same on the two separate controls, it is weird

·
Registered
1 Posts
Navigation system outdated

Haven't driven my 2013 GT enough to form an opinion on performance and handling. But have discovered the navigation system is a joke.

In Austin, it is missing some major highways connectors which were completed almost two years ago! After talking with Mapnsoft about updating the map, I learned the update comes out only once a year (October) and would cost $200! When I asked why a 2013 model car would have a nav system with maps which are clearly outdated, I was told that they way the maps get installed in a "situation like this" (which I assumed meant the way Hyundai is set up to work with Mapnsoft) the maps can be up to 18 months old!

Useless. And who in their right mind would pay $200 a year to keep their maps current? Guess I'll pipe my free cell phone mapping app through the speakers. A hassle but at least the maps will be current.

·
Registered
14 Posts
32/39 are the numbers they boast... and 27 is the best I have gotten so far. I'm not going to officially complain until summer, cause generally cars use more fuel in colder weather. And I take in affect I have a bit of a lead foot sometimes.
Hyundai USA has sent out a memorandum and they have updated the Marooney stickers, however, they still don't come close. I drive a predominately highway commute and after 11.5k miles, my manual GT gets 29.88 MPG mixed. The best tank I have ever had is 32.6, worst is 27.1. I have used the App Gas Cubby to store all my fuel fillings.

I am happy with my car, other than the terrible suspension setup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Owned ours for 4 days now. Love almost everything. I don't hate anything but I think the wheelbase could have been a tad big bigger... 1 or 2 inches more and the backseat would be much better for carseats/passengers. I feel like my 02 Elantra GT had more room in the back, and it probably did. The suspension doesn't really bother me much since we didn't buy the car for the performance factor. But I'm used to sportbikes and SUVs so car performance has been somewhat lost on me since my younger years.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Owned ours for 4 days now. Love almost everything. I don't hate anything but I think the wheelbase could have been a tad big bigger... 1 or 2 inches more and the backseat would be much better for carseats/passengers. I feel like my 02 Elantra GT had more room in the back, and it probably did. The suspension doesn't really bother me much since we didn't buy the car for the performance factor. But I'm used to sportbikes and SUVs so car performance has been somewhat lost on me since my younger years.
Owned mine for a week now and still very pleased with it. First tank I got 32mpg (indicated, never did manual calculations) with my commute to work being 10 miles(each way) on a freeway at 80mph.

Also, think the backseat is quite large for the segment. Overall, very happy with the car!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had mine for a total of 9 days. Love it so far (but who doesn't always love their new car) with the exception of the road noise. I understand it's not a luxury car so you lose some of the in cabin quietness so I just turn the radio up a bit. Bluelink is a great feature and I love that I can start the car from my phone. the only downside to this is it can take up to 2 minutes to communicate with the car itself. They should have just provided an auto start feature on the key fob.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had mine for a total of 9 days. Love it so far (but who doesn't always love their new car) with the exception of the road noise. I understand it's not a luxury car so you lose some of the in cabin quietness so I just turn the radio up a bit. Bluelink is a great feature and I love that I can start the car from my phone. the only downside to this is it can take up to 2 minutes to communicate with the car itself. They should have just provided an auto start feature on the key fob.
That's interesting, because I think my Elantra GT is exceptionally quiet. Do you have the roof rack by chance?

·
Registered
153 Posts
With road noise being brought up...i'd like to know what Hyundai has done to make the interior quiet, that's if they have done anything at all.

Typically in a car like this you can't expect the cabin to be that quiet. Have you driven any other compacts in the same segment as the Elantra?
Doing that might help determine if that noise is of the "norm" for the type of car the Elantra is.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts