Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '03 Elantra GT shakes left to right going down the road. But the car doesn't track off line.
The dealership says, that my wheels has gone bad. The wheels are 17 years old. I am thinking of replacing with new steel wheels. Would this hurt the car suspension?
Also has anyone tried Detroit Axle? Amazon have a like suspension setup, that should fit my GT for $358.00.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
No, wont hurt the car. Make sure you buy the right wheel size and lug pattern. FYI....I would have the steering components inspected, i.e. ball joints, tire rod ends and rubber bushings, they too can cause wheel shake if they are worn out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Over the years, the OEM wheels may have taken bumps that partly warped the surfaces. If you drive where there are lots of potholes, I can guarantee you have warped wheels. Even those pesky speed bumps will bend a wheel if you hit it hard enough. And this happens with all vehicles after long enough.

A good wheel shop that repairs wheels can straighten them, but it is usually cheaper to buy a new set. And be sure to get oem steel wheels from a dealer. Many of the aftermarket replacement wheels are already warped due to poor tolerances. The other alternative is to buy aftermarket wheels (steel or aluminum) from a tire shop.

One place I have used is https://www.rimsntires.com/packages.jsp. They do offer reasonable packages, and you can mix and match wheels/tires. Depending on how you drive and/or where you drive matters on the type of tire. My 05 Elantra GLS is mostly used as a local daily but one 3000 mile trip a year. I use all-weather tires with at least 40,000 mile wear warranty. And I air them up about 2 to 4 psi higher than what Hyundai says on the door sticker. It does give a harsher ride, but the tires do wear evenly. And regular alignments helps too.

The suspension takes a lot of wear and tear going down the road, even in a straight line. If it starts to get worn and loose, replace the bad parts. And not just one side at a time. If the tie-rod end on one side goes bad, you better replace the other side as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts