Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got my daughter a 2010 H.E. and it runs fine. Recently though, the steering wheel "clicks" when turning to the left or right. It clicks just one time when the direction of the wheel changes. You can "Feel" the click in the wheel, and it seems to be coming from the steering column inside the car, right under the dash, close to the wheel (not in the engine area).

Trying to get a feel for what could be wrong, and what it may cost to repair.

It does not affect the steering of the car - but it's annoying as heck. (is it safe to drive?)

Thank you for your responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I got my daughter a 2010 H.E. and it runs fine. Recently though, the steering wheel "clicks" when turning to the left or right. It clicks just one time when the direction of the wheel changes. You can "Feel" the click in the wheel, and it seems to be coming from the steering column inside the car, right under the dash, close to the wheel (not in the engine area).

Trying to get a feel for what could be wrong, and what it may cost to repair.

It does not affect the steering of the car - but it's annoying as heck. (is it safe to drive?)

Thank you for your responses.
I have a 2009 Elantra and had the same problem. Dealer told me i needed a new steering column and it was going to cost $2,400. I contacted Hyundai Customer Relations after doing some research and finding out the Sonota’s had the same problem and there was a recall for that model only. I mentioned this to them and how much it was going to cost and having about it 75,000 miles on my car. they agreed to pay for it and the dealer performed the work. Hopefully they will do the same for you. Let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found out this is nothing more than the steering column coupling (bushing). It costs less than $2.00 but the labor to get to it and replace it is what is expensive. I recently bought the part for $1.79 but it cost me $360.00 to replace it I think because they have to drop the dashboard - (the mechanic charges $90/hr.) But after that, the noise is gone and the car drives like new!!. If you are confident enough to do it yourself, welcome but just know that it gets a little messy when it involves dashboard and you have to have the right tools.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts