Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was at the dealership getting my wife's car service. I happened to stop by the parts department to look at stuff for my GT. after talking with the sales person, he dropped a little bit of info about a pamphlet he saw from Hyundai pertaining to the future of the Elantra. It claims the entire Elantra family will be getting a bump in power and the picture of the new engine looked very similar to the 2.0 in the Genesis, but with no turbo. It claimed somewhere in the range of 160-170hp. Hyundai has not confirmed this to the public, but he was sure it would be for the late 2014 to 2015 models. With that in mind, Imagine where you could go with performance in these cars considering the amount of aftermarket support for the Genesis. or imagine if they decided to bolt in the 2.0T into them. They would be in competition with the GTI and GLI at that point. And with a lower price tag, they would stir up that segment of cars for sure. Just thought I'd share the info he gave me. For all I know he was BS'ing, but it's nice to dream.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information. I saw pictures of the next gen Genesis test mule and it looked amazing, if this design language stays true for even the lower end models like the Elantra I will be very surprised.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks for the info. personally i dont believe much that sales people say. but it would be cool to see a bump in power for the elantra.
I would normally agree, but it wasn't a car sales guy, it was one of the parts sales guys. I guess since I had a very real conversation with him where he himself even faulted Hyundai for a few things. Mainly the lack of Hyundai performance parts and very little aftermarket support even though they partner with quite a few aftermarket companies to make amazing cars. I would love to see it happen though cause that will be right about the time my lease is up.

·
Registered
80 Posts
interesting find, would be good to see TBH. Kind of falls right in line with Hyundais new performance division...

he first product in Hyundai's new European performance portfolio is expected to be a version of the next i20 hatchback that's set to launch in 2015. That in turn will be used as the basis for the company's next WRC challenger, to replace the upcoming model, pictured above undergoing testing. After that it's anyone's guess, but performance versions of the Veloster, Genesis Coupe and Elantra could be in the cards.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/15/hyundai-europe-performance-division/

·
Registered
363 Posts
Performance versions of all those cars will be needed, now they have the opportunity with some of them going into a new generation such as the Gen coupe and Elantra. They just need to build the platforms to support a performance model.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts