Elantra Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2009 Elantra that had a very rusty oil pan. I was nervous about how thin it might be and rather than waiting for a rock to bounce up and pop a hole in it I just changed it. Everything went fine, no leaks and it is all filled up.

The issue was, when it was first started there was a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Not white or blue like coolant or oil, but rather like a dark grey, possibly from running rich?

One thing to note - the car had been sitting for a few days before I did the work, and I disconnected the battery because the RTV says to let it sit for 24 hours before filling, and I didn't want the remote start to accidentally be activated as the car sat with no oil in it.

After I saw the smoke I shut it off (only ran for about 10 seconds). I checked all the fluids and tried again. It was a little better but still smokey so I shut it off again to check things. The third time it seemed a little better still, but not quite normal. The fourth start seemed close to normal so I let it run. I was confident enough to take it for a short 5 minute drive.

When I got back, still no leaks and the exhaust looked basically normal now. There were no oil lights, check engine lights or any other lights for that matter. Could this just have been from having the battery disconnected for a couple of days causing the computer to basically reset and the car needed time to get the readings from all the sensors to get things running right? Perhaps that and the new O2 sensor just had the computer scrambling for the first minute or so...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went out after the car sat all night and cooled off and from a cold start everything appeared normal. I found other stuff online about people saying similar things including failing smog and emission tests from a simple battery change. Apparently the computer does need time, some saying up to 100 miles of routine driving to get everything figured out and running right again. So, in case anyone else has a similar problem and stumbles upon this post, perhaps that will be some useful information.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts