Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just purchased a 2013 Elentra GL Sedan and we opted out on the electronic rust protection gaget. Not too sure if that even works so Im going with the old school method and spray. The question Im having issues with is if I should drill holes or not. I'd prefer not to but the wand only reaches places it has access to. Thoughts comments.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the drilling as long as it is plugged properly

What you need to be concerned with is IF it is plugged properly

And of course there is also the visual aspect of drilling. It just doesn't look as nice.

Personally I go with the no drilling and so far so good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Personally I go with the no drilling and so far so good.
Personally, I go with what the factory supplies; that is usually good for MORE than 10 years and few people keep their cars that long.

In addition, there is some question as to whether add-on rust proofing of any kind really does any good in the long run. Sometimes it can plug drain holes and make matters worse.

Oh.....and the "service" is usually WAY overpriced too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The salesman at Hyundai said drilling holes will void the perforation warranty and any structural warranty. I see the advantages of both driling and not driling so I guess Im not going to drill any holes to avoid any issues with the warranty.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just pass on drilling then. It's not the end of the world. Most rust develops on the suspension parts anyways. Very rarely does rust come from the actual panels of the car unless its a panel that is directly rubbing another panel (like a quarter panel)

·
Registered
363 Posts
A lot of newer cars don't require the drilling since they already come with rust proofing and are sealed well, i wouldn't bother with drilling, but if you think you need it, go ahead.

·
Registered
296 Posts
it depends on the type of car. some cars are infamous for premature rust. The new Hyundais are ok. Much better than the previous generation Hyundais.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts