Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I used to work as an Auto Tech. And I am pretty sure that I can install the Hyundai Remote Start on my 13 GS Coupe. But I have a question. Do I need to have the PCM reprogrammed??? I'd like to do someday, But dont want to pay the Dealer about $800. $350 Module/Remotes, 2.5 Hours Labor, Shop supplies, Tax. Just shy of $800 I estimate.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
eh i'm sure its easy specially since we didnt pick that technology package the only thing is that the car 'i think' has canbus. so we gotta buy a little interface that 'talks' to the etacs system from the aftermarket alarm. its about 700 from best buy for a viper 2 way digital display alarm/remote starter. i installed one on a 97 elantra tho and it wasnt that horrible.

Eddie

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All cars manufactured after 2008 are CAN. Not OBDII. Its a different computer system than your 97.

The Hyundai unit only runs about $350 from the dealer. And includes harnesses to plug into the onboard connectors. And I think it was about 12 wire tap ins.

I want it. Cant afford it at the moment. Only job I could get pays $7.50 Hr. And lucky if I can get 20 hours a week.

·
Registered
84 Posts
It would be easy if it wasn't for the antitheft system. OBD2 is still the onboard diagnostic type btw, CAN bus is just the communication between modules. OBD3 is being used in some manufactures now, although the 2013 Elantra's are still OBD2.

·
Registered
296 Posts
$350 is not bad if its the OEM option with a warranty.

I've seen some aftermarket remote starters for around $150 but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It would be easy if it wasn't for the antitheft system. OBD2 is still the onboard diagnostic type btw, CAN bus is just the communication between modules. OBD3 is being used in some manufactures now, although the 2013 Elantra's are still OBD2.
thats kinda what i thought. do we really have an antitheft system? i mean it just seems like keyless entry. i'm going to try to lock the car with the key fob with the doorwindows open then unlock the inside and open the door if it opens without making noise thats usually how you can tell that it is just a keyless entry system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i like the factory option price point. however what i'm not gona like is carrying around 2 keyfobs is that how it works? or does it integrate through a combination on the current key fob?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Factory antitheft may not be one of those loud annoy your neighbor car alarms, but what it does is disable the ignition if the right key is not in the ignition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
oh i see what your saying. yeah then the immobilizer modules need to be installed, if there is an immobilizer system in place. however we were not given a gray valet key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
we just ordered the viper 5704 a good friend will be installing it within a week or so. i'll let you guys know of any issues. shouldnt be any.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. I just started a New job. My old job had me down to 9-11 Hrs week. At $7.50 Hr. So I cant do anything at the moment. I'm hopping this job with Trane works out. Maybe the end of the month I can get the Hyundai system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a gs with the hyundai factory remote start. It was added by the dealer at time of purchase as the deal clincher. One need 1 remote all same functions plus car finder horn beeps once and lights flash. Dealer charged salesman for 3 hrs of labor. Added by dealer it will be cover under warranty by the dealer. No problems since November '012

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Finally got one of the Remote Starts. Installed it today. Took about 2 1/2 Hrs. Unfortunately I broke on the of the clips on the A-Pillar. Fortunately I had a spare. It was listed for Nissan/Infinity. Fit. But was a little loose. OK. Gave me some play so I didnt break it putting the A-Pillar back on. Had to cut the harness open on one of the connectors (Fuse panel). Accidentily broke the Orange Wire. No problem. I fixed it by Soldering it.

The Remote start does not work like the one on the Malibu I traded. I have to set the heater controls before I park the car. And to get the rear Defroster working, You need to push the Rem Strt button a second time. While running. Going to take me some time to get used to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts