Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 elantra seems like the rear moves sideways when hitting a bump such as a sunken manhole cover. like the rear of car moves about an inch or two sideways.dealer says cant find anything wrong. any ideas on this

·
Registered
1 Posts
yep.. I experienced it while having two guests in the back seats. They were shocked to feel the swaying phenomenon. Thank god no one was next to us.

Its a concern which is why I played with the stability control button near the eco button to see if it made a difference. And it did but it was not recommended in the manual to enable it. I have concluded its a design error in the stability of the rear suspension response.

I

·
Registered
137 Posts
Its a concern which is why I played with the stability control button near the eco button to see if it made a difference. And it did but it was not recommended in the manual to enable it.
Stability control is ENabled by default.
Pushing that button DISables it.

Rear wheel "hop" is pretty common with small cars.
It can be made worse with tire pressures that are too high.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Stability control is ENabled by default.
Pushing that button DISables it.

Rear wheel "hop" is pretty common with small cars.
It can be made worse with tire pressures that are too high.
so i guess this is normal for the Elantra? and might not be an actual problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, I experience the same on my 2013 1.6 GLS with normal tyre pressure. If the imperfection on the road surface move underneath both wheels at the same time, there is no problem. But as soon as one of the wheels move over a small hump (± 25 mm) on the road surface the whole rear end became unstable even at 60 km/h. At everything above 13o km/h the car is nearly uncontrollable if there is a long stretch of imperfections. I just aim the steering straight forward. I've already put ± 25500 km on the clock so the suspension can not be too stiff anymore. My 2013 i10 does not have any of the problems under the same conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2014 and that's how they are i almost flipped the car over when i hit a rock trying to pass a car, I hate this car my bmw could handle this with no problem, i am used to a car that the back is not all over the place but that is what happens with front wheel drive. Learned my lesson going back to the bmw 2011 328i if you want to control a car not the car control you.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've experienced the side hop thing too (cornering hard over a bump). I'd guess that it has to do with the rear suspension design. It's not independent like the front, so what happens to one side will definitely effect the other. This design was probably chosen to keep costs down, as a 4 wheel independent design would be more expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm going to say the shimmy is a result of the rear suspension design being just a trailing arm. There's less lateral support. I'm guessing the hopping and the swaying is the result of soft springs with stiff damping or too little damping and the lack of a sway bar. The bushing on the arm it's self most likely give a little to much as well. As the problem is occurring on my younger brothers car (he's 16 and just learning to drive, the car was originally my other brothers car 20 who is now enlisted) both my dad and brother have complained about how unstable the rear is. I'm thinking a shock upgrade all around is needed to calm it down

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am unsure about the GT, but I know the elantra sedans do not have a rear sway bar. They have a straight beam axle in the rear instead of independent rear suspension, which is why the vehicle really only hops or sways when one wheel hits a bump. There are a few companies that make aftermarket sway bars that are fairly cheap and extremely simple to install. These sway bars will dramatically cut down on sway and improve cornering and traction in the rear end. I have also read that the OEM rear sway bar from the same year Veloster will fit, but I have not tried myself. These are the first vehicles I have come across without a sway bar. My 02 Accent, 03 Elantra, 08 Rio and 08 Accent all had one. Another upgrade that will improve upon these issues is a set of aftermarket springs, although these will also lower your car, not everyone wants this. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear Hop and Sway Problem

Old subject, but the cure is KYB rear shocks and some better tires. Did the shocks and applied Continental PureContact rubber for secure handling car. Totally different animal!

·
Registered
36 Posts
New Shocks/Tires

I have the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS and noticed the back swaying as well. I put KYB shocks and Pirelli all season tires and noticed a much better quality of ride. The back does not sway but rarely now. This is a must upgrade to get better enjoyment out of the car. It is a little costly but is well worth the investment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
handling/wheel hop/rear end sway

i have the same issue and it's driving me crazy trying to solve it,.. with my snows on the front i noticed that the wheel hop is not nearly as bad leading me to think it's a tire issue...has anyone solved this problem by changing wheel/tire size?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Kia Forte is basically the same car. I experienced it a lot as well. I purchased a torsion bar and had it installed, took care of the problem and the car was a lot flatter in cornering. I have an email into the company to see if it will fit my new Elantra I just purchased this week. I am hoping it will.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this issue in a 2016 Limited. Is this common in the 2016's? What can I do to fix it.. Its really bad when hitting a bump in the rain. I am more scared to drive it than not and I am stuck in it for another 5 years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts