Elantra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the pads but the calipers won't compress. They're the ones that are combined with the hand brake. Is there a special tool required?

I tried it with the car running as well with it not. The hand brake was not engaged.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
yes you do need a special tool . you can find them at harbor tools or any auto parts store where some do rent the kit.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...and-caliper-service-tool-kit-18-pc-61381.html

before you start very carefully with a dull round tool go around the dust seal to break it loose from the piston, I personally spray a very lite amount of wd 40 around it at the same time , so the piston /seal move around each other freely , while not needed remove the cable from the lever then slowly turn the piston back in, being careful to watch the dust seal so not to tear it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You should also be very carful to open the bleeder valve when you compress the pucks. to do this get a clean container and fill with new brake fluid spec for your model, run a piece of clear tubing from the bleeder valve into the container with the new brake fluid. use the tool for compressing the the pucks. when you have every thing set up. just open the valve. If you don't do this. you will force brake fluid into the master cylinder and abs and do a great deal of damage. also on the rears, I surmise it has disk brakes? You need a special tool for the parking brake to release it also. I hope this clarifies your question.You should have the rotors turned also. R.J

1 - 4 of 4 Posts