Elantra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I have purchased these headlights on eBay for my 2013 Sedan Elantra. http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-11-13-ELANTRA-SMOKED-DRL-LED-LIGHT-TUBE-HALO-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-UPGRADE-/291001217238?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2013|Model:Elantra&hash=item43c10630d6&vxp=mtr#ht_6796wt_1038

Question is, has anyone put an HID Kit into aftermarket headlight projectors? They have an article in eBay about putting HID's into aftermarket projectors. It states that If the bulb is too close to the lens it could melt the lens and damage the housing. It also states that the bulb is to be 2 inches (I'm guessing) from the lens so it does not damage them. I bought a kit after I did the research. I also emailed the company that makes the headlights and they stated it should be fine, but I also emailed the seller that sold the headlights to me and they said don't do it. I am stuck on this and only solution I know was to buy some Hella bulbs so I can have brighter lights and not worry about anything being damaged. Does anyone have experience with installing HID's into prjectors? Need some help here.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
363 Posts
if you can find an aftermarket shop near you, they might be of more help as they will probably test fit an HID bulb for you to make sure everything will be alright.
I dont see this being an issue, i never had an issue fitting a HID bulb into a projector, it was just plug and play.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you can find an aftermarket shop near you, they might be of more help as they will probably test fit an HID bulb for you to make sure everything will be alright.
I dont see this being an issue, i never had an issue fitting a HID bulb into a projector, it was just plug and play.
Well its not a matter of "fitment" its the worrisome of the HID bulb being too near the projector lens while the bulb is on and damaging the lens, because the bulbs can get from 40-90 degrees Celsius. Which is up to 200 Degrees F. Hope this clears it up for you. Thanks for responding.

Jason

·
Registered
296 Posts
arent lenses usually glass? I've never really heard of 35watt HIDs melting lenses.

Standard 35watt 50 watt halogens produce WAY more heat than a 35 watt hid bulb

personally rather then spend 250$ on that.

I would spend the $150 or so and get a morimoto minih1 retrofit kit from the retrofit source and pay someone $250-$300 labor to retrofit the projector into your OEM headlight

Much better quality projector and OEM headlight housing. That would be the ideal way of doing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got the headlights and the taillights together off eBay for a price not being able to pass up. So that is reason being why I bought them. Also the headlights came with built in LED Strip and Halo as shown in the picture. I did purchase a 35watt kit (Xentec is the brand) with 5000K bulbs. Do you think it should be fine with this kit and not having to worry about any damage?

·
Registered
80 Posts
i dont understand the problem, from your Ebay link it looks like you've purchased the entire housing. Just pull out the Elantras stockers and bolt the aftermarkets right up...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please read this thread thoroughly, it's not referring to fitment of the housing. It's explaining rather or not it is safe to put an HID Kit INTO the housing without the housing being damage due to excessive heat from the HID bulbs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think the best way of doing this is to get the headlight first and measure the distance between the bulbs mount and the projector lens. Then compare it with the length of the HID bulb.

They are right that most HID bulbs are longer than halogen bulbs. Usually by 1-3cm. But in general I'd say halogen bulbs produce more overall heat compared to HID.

But at the very tip of the HID bulb there could be intense heat if the lens is very close to the bulb.

The way I see it. You are playing with ebay quality headlight housings. Its not going to be great.

I've dealt with some ebay headlights before and was not impressed with the quality at all. Which is why if you can afford it - I would go for custom retrofits into your oem housing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok great, and thanks for the response. Also has anyone used the Phillips X-Treme vision bulbs or the Hella 100 watt bulbs? Just trying to see if I can get some more light on the road.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You want to use those bulbs in the headlight housing? I'm not sure if a 100watt bulb is a good idea. If you are worried about melting stuff stick with the original wattage.

I'm sure 100 watts will be very bright. Also extremely hot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes that makes sense, but why are they going to make a 100W bulb, if you cannot even use it due to too much heat?

Also how about the Philips X-Treme Vision, or the Hella 55W bulb? Anyone use either of these?

Thank you everyone

·
Registered
296 Posts
well if your headlights are rated for 35 watts you can ONLY use 35 watts.

Just like if a lightbulb fixture at your house sais max 150 watt you don't want to use a 200 watt bulb in there because the fixture isnt built to handle the extra heat. there is potential for a fire

Same goes for cars. They build headlight housings to handle a range of heat

If you are worried about HIDs melting your projector lens WHY are you looking at 55watt or 100watt halogen bulbs?

A 100watt halogen bulb will be twice as hot as a 35watt HID kit. And the 55watt Hella bulb will still be noticeably hotter than the 35watt HID kit.

Apart from the housing melting by using a higher watt bulb - you will also risk melting the harness (the wires that run that bulb) due to excessive heat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for your knowledge import nation. I think I am going to stick with the 55W bulbs. I contacted Sylvania about the Sylvania sliverstar Ultras and they told me that the low beams are 55W and the high beams are 60W. I have used Silverstar Ultras before on low beam and high beam and never had a problem. So at least I got an answer and know what's safe now. Thanks everyone for all the help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok update on projector headlights. I bought a pair of these off eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2013-Black-PROJECTOR-PLANK-STYLE-Headlights-For-HYUNDAI-ELANTRA-New-2012-/390667992566?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year:2013|Make:Hyundai|Model:Elantra&hash=item5af5a07df6&vxp=mtr

These are excellent and require no modifications in the wiring. The light output is noticeably much better than the previous pair I purchased. If anyone wants pictures of the lights turned on at night let me know and I will post pictures in this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts