Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'd thought I'd share a picture of my headlights with HID's. They are the Eagle headlights with DRL I bought off eBay and an HID kit with 4300K. I posted about the headlights in a separate thread with subject "Projector headlights". Let me know what you all think.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
Just got 2014 limited and would like to upgrade to hid. Were the headlight housings difficult to remove after removing the 3 bolts on top?
thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Headlights

Hello,
Just got 2014 limited and would like to upgrade to hid. Were the headlight housings difficult to remove after removing the 3 bolts on top?
thanks
No they are not really hard to remove. You just remove the 3 bolts, detach the connection to the headlight. Then just wiggle them out. They have 2 notches underneath that lock into grooves. You might have to tug a little hard, but don't worry you won't break anything. The tricky part is putting them back in. Once you position it in the car you have to push forward a little to get it to lock back in place. When you get one headlight out, look at the bottom of it and you will see the notches on the headlight and you will know what I am talking about.

Hope this helps. Anymore questions just ask.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have been interested in these headlights for a while now. I'm planning on purchasing the same lights but with a clear reflector. It definitely makes the car even more of a head-turner.

Do the drl's stay on at all times?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been interested in these headlights for a while now. I'm planning on purchasing the same lights but with a clear reflector. It definitely makes the car even more of a head-turner.

Do the drl's stay on at all times?
I am not sure about the Limited Elantra. On my switch that turns on my lights I have Off ,DRL, and lights. If I turn them to DRL the parking lights and DRLs come on. They are like your high beams that act as DRL on the regular halogen housing. I got the black housing to match with the trim on my vehicle. I have Harbor Grey Metallic. Make sure you adjust them correctly so the lights will perform correctly. When you get them they will be way off to avoid blinding people. Any more questions just ask.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I like how they look like they could be OEM's! I'd like to see what they look like with the drl's on in the daytime.. Can you post a picture if you get a chance? Also, does the projector produce a High/Low beam or does the reflective housing still produce the High-beam?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure, I will try to get a picture today and post it tonight. It's cloudy today so perfect time to get a good day time picture. The projector produces only the low beam and the halogen in the middle still produces the high beam. They changed the bulb type for the low beam to H7 as the highs are still H1. If you don't get HIDs right away and decide to wait, get Phillips Xtreme Vision for them, They are the brightest and safest bulbs I could find until I finally switched to HIDs. Get 5000k for HIDs if you want the brightest beam. Going above 6000k and you will loose brightness.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do these headlights have horizontal aiming? If so, where is the place to adjust them?

I just noticed that my headlights look kinda like this:

It was crazy how far down these headlights were adjusted when I first got them. It was like they pointed 3ft in front of the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lights have cone holes on them, you use a Phillips screwdriver to adjust them. Let me know if you need instructions on adjusting them. it is very easy and can be done using a white wall.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Your HID install looks good! We have a 2013 Coupe and I've upgraded the headlights and foglights to HID (6000K). Looks great (see pic). Kits came from XenonSupply.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just installed my HIDs from XenonHIDS.com. I got 6000k and I put the low beams in yesterday. I bought high beams too, but they said the high beams are H1 bulbs and my car is H7 so I contacted them to get a return/swap.

I'm considering eventually buying fog lights (hopefully from Hyundai) that I can put in and have HID. My car is the SE so it just has the placeholders in there for the fog lights.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Excellent choice! The HIDs look super sharp. I'd like to suggest to shy away from HID high-beams as HIDs take a bit to warm up to full brightness and waiting for them may be dangerous. I removed my high-beam HID system (one of the ballasts failed anyway, refunded under warranty) and replaced them w/ LED bulbs (non ballasted) from PrecisionLED.
Using the LEDs as high-beam bulbs allows for them to be used an daytime running lights (DRL) in addition to high-beams (admittedly not bright enough) without the time delay nor the blinding of using a ballasted system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Excellent choice! The HIDs look super sharp. I'd like to suggest to shy away from HID high-beams as HIDs take a bit to warm up to full brightness and waiting for them may be dangerous. I removed my high-beam HID system (one of the ballasts failed anyway, refunded under warranty) and replaced them w/ LED bulbs (non ballasted) from PrecisionLED.
Using the LEDs as high-beam bulbs allows for them to be used an daytime running lights (DRL) in addition to high-beams (admittedly not bright enough) without the time delay nor the blinding of using a ballasted system.
I was actually worried about that. I'm going to see if they will just return them instead of exchange them and I'll look into those LEDs. Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okay, so I ordered LED high beam bulbs and put them in today. They look great and work great when on DRL. However, when I turn them on high beams, the driver side one blinks (almost like a turn signal). The HID low beams stay on with the high beam lights too, which is great. I don't remember them staying on before but maybe they did. Does anyone know why one of those LEDs blinks on the driver side? Should I swap the bulbs to rule out if it blinks with the one thats on the passenger side?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Double check the install. Check the signal lights too. Try swapping the LED ballasts to see what happens. if the blinking changes sides, it might be the ballast, if not, swap the bulbs or contact the supplier and inquire. The pulse encoded in the power voltage is a higher frequency, say 100 Hz, so a turn signal rate seems odd. Good luck and keep us posted.

Don't forget to post pics!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Okay, I will check the install. I've been really busy and just left them alone for now. I mainly use them for DRLs anyways. I don't have ballasts for the LED bulbs, its just the bulb itself. I will try swapping the bulbs soon and let you know. The LEDs definitely aren't as bright as HIDs or even regular halogens but they still look cool. I noticed when the high beams are on they are brighter than when they are DRL so I guess they have different "filaments" to like my factory bulbs? I'll post pics soon!

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you have just bulbs (no ballasts) then you may have a bad bulb. The signal/power to the bulbs should be the same on both sides. Switching sides should verify that.
As for being brighter using the high beam, they are. The DRL system (on most vehicles) is the high beam bulb using less voltage and are dimmer as a result. The DRL system runs on maybe 6V as opposed to the high beams at 12V or 14.4V. Same "filaments", more voltage. When you turn on the high beams, you just switching to the higher voltage. Some cars do have bulbs with 2 filaments but not the Elantra.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh okay, makes sense about the voltage now. Thanks for the info! Hope I don't have a bad bulb. I ordered them on eBay. They were a lot cheaper than PrecisionLED. That site is super expensive!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts