Elantra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fans of the GT. I just got done dipping the back end badges on Kim Jung El. I felt he had too much Chrome. Will be doing the grille, belt line, and inserts on the rims (style package) to eliminate the chrome. Will update photos when I get around to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, its actually best not to remove pieces when working with plasti dip. Leave about an inch in all directions and spray the whole area. I did 6 coats with 25 minutes between the coats. Then you peel the excess dip off. The little parts inside the letter come off with a toothpick.

And yes, my car is named Kim Jung El. My wife made a big deal about buying Korean, so I thought it would be a funny name.

Looking good. Did you remove the pieces to spray them?

Did you really name your car Kim Jung El?! lol

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious to see what the wheel inserts look like when you get them done. Mine is black and I think that would set it off! I'd rather you be the guinea pig though. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks good! I don't like chrome on a silver car, period. I went with the metallic blue and it actually compliments it nicely. Love the name of the car :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think all you've done is make the front look like a Mazda .
Don't like it .

Sorry
I hate to agree, but it looks a little like a toothless grin with it blacked-out.

Thanks for doing this, though. I was considering the same sort of approach to cover the chrome. If it helps at all, the front end of the new Mazda 3 looks much worse. I have a 2006 Mazda 3 with body colored grill, which looks good. The new version is also blacked out, which, to me, also looks like a gaping toothless smile.

Is body colored paint available for the GT? That might look good.

I hope I'm not the only one comparing the front end of cars to human faces.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree it does not look good at all. Looks like the grill is missing due to an accident. You can go in the opposite direction and change the bottom 2 grill pieces too chrome. I think it cost about $50.00. BUT check out the grill on the 2016 model -- COOL!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks good. I'm in the process now of doing my grille and badges, just got my dip today. Was also thinking of doing the side mirrors, wheels and door trim. I hate the chrome and I have the same silver color. Plus it would look better with my tints. Was thinking of doing the tail lights, but it might be too rice.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
The grille and badges look great! Inspiration for my wife's white GT. I have a white Coupe and wanted to do a flat vinyl on the grille, the company wanted nearly $300, I said no. Wanted something like the enclosed image.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts