Elantra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to see what people may know in this sub of normal procedure to determine oil consumption for Hyundai and what is considered normal/abnormal oil consumption.

My ranty story: I have been going to the dealer every 1000 km (I'm in Canada) after having a diagnostic done to determine if there was a reason I had very low oil levels in my car after an oil change. Nothing was found in the diagnostic. The first couple times they said I had no consumption however I had been documenting my own dipstick levels with photos every week, which showed decreasing oil levels. The third time (3000 km after my last oil change) I finally pressed the service advisor to show me how they check oil so I knew I was doing it correctly, and I was doing it correctly (I'm not mechanically inclined). I told them when I check, it appears that my oil levels are decreasing, and so they topped up my oil, and documented the amount.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm looking to see what people may know in this sub of normal procedure to determine oil consumption for Hyundai and what is considered normal/abnormal oil consumption.

My ranty story: I have been going to the dealer every 1000 km (I'm in Canada) after having a diagnostic done to determine if there was a reason I had very low oil levels in my car after an oil change. Nothing was found in the diagnostic. The first couple times they said I had no consumption however I had been documenting my own dipstick levels with photos every week, which showed decreasing oil levels. The third time (3000 km after my last oil change) I finally pressed the service advisor to show me how they check oil so I knew I was doing it correctly, and I was doing it correctly (I'm not mechanically inclined). I told them when I check, it appears that my oil levels are decreasing, and so they topped up my oil, and documented the amount.
thank you
sweepstakes internet cafe near me

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a 2014 GT not too long ago and it consumes a quart a week,sometimes more. No leaks and I'm not an aggressive driver. I've never owned a car that burned so much oil. I have had work trucks that burned less. I don't get it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
OK I might have an answer....

CHANGE YOUR POSITIVE CRANKCASE VALVE (pcv valve). It's located sticking out of the valve cover with a rubber hose going to it. PCV valves can get stuck open due to continue blow-by allowing to much oil to vent into the intake manifold and than the engine burns it and blows it out the tailpipe. I've seen it time and time again. It's small detail many people overlook.

Message me if you need anymore help or questions

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, I had the same exact issue but with a Toyota Camry!! one was a 2001 and the other was a 2015. No issues, no leaks, and every month I had to top it off with a quart!! ridiculous and got sick of it. I went to the dealer and a neighborhood mechanic for the 2015 and all they can say is that the engine was just built like that and burned oil. Not good, what if that causes damage in the long term? I never solved the 2001 issue but the 2015 I did.

I searched for different synthetic oils because a friend of mine suggested finding a better synthetic than what those Valvoline places put in and I found this:
2015 Toyota Camry Synthetic Oil

and problem solved! no more burning oil. So if it worked for my Camry, maybe it will work for your vehicle? Worth a try, it's a good oil better than what the dealer probably puts in it. I use it for my Elantra as well! hope this helps!

·
Registered
2005 Elantra
2 Posts
Wow, I had the same exact issue but with a Toyota Camry!! one was a 2001 and the other was a 2015. No issues, no leaks, and every month I had to top it off with a quart!! ridiculous and got sick of it. I went to the dealer and a neighborhood mechanic for the 2015 and all they can say is that the engine was just built like that and burned oil. Not good, what if that causes damage in the long term? I never solved the 2001 issue but the 2015 I did.

I searched for different synthetic oils because a friend of mine suggested finding a better synthetic than what those Valvoline places put in and I found this:
2015 Toyota Camry Synthetic Oil

and problem solved! no more burning oil. So if it worked for my Camry, maybe it will work for your vehicle? Worth a try, it's a good oil better than what the dealer probably puts in it. I use it for my Elantra as well! hope this helps!
Funny that you mention that. That oil cut the oil consumption dramatically on my previous cars. I was a huge Mobil 1/Castrol fan until a friend of mine told me to switch to that oil. I looked in every single store under the sun and could not find that stuff anywhere. I thought that you had to be an auto part store to buy it. I had no idea that you could order it on-line.

You posted the one for the Toyota. But here's the one that will work for the Elantra with the 1.8 engine. So far, I have not met anyone who owns one of these Elantra's that has the 2.0. I've seen many Elantra GT's on the street in traffic near me. I've owned many Hyundai's. Remember those old Hyunda Scoup's from the early 1990's? I had two of those with the 5 speed manual. Those things were a blast to drive on the highway. They had excellent handling. I think we barely paid $12,000 for them brand new. They were great little cars. I ended up putting a huge stereo system in it that sounded phoenominal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts