Elantra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I love my gt but I really wish the head lights were brighter anyone else disappointed with there head lights and has anyone did any light mods?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. I decided to install HIDs. I went to youtube and watched some videos just to see how difficult it was to install and found out that it is pretty easy thing to do. Now to decide which kit to buy. So I started reading forums and watching more youtube videos of people reviewing different kits. I went through 3 kits off ebay before I found the right one. I bought xentec slim DC kit first. It was no brighter then my halogens but was slightly blue with 6000k bulbs. At night and during rain blue is almost useless. I did more research and found that the factory bulbs Mercedes and BMW use are 4300k. So I bought another kit from a company (forgot the name I threw the box away) that claimed they had 4300k bulbs. After I got the kit I installed it and it was NOT 4300k color it was still slightly blue almost a pure white (5000k color). So I decided to try the VVME 55w AC kit. The reason I didn't buy the 55w AC kit first is because I saw a lot of people saying it was too bright. Let me make this clear....it is NOT too bright! It is exactly what OEM Mercedes and BMW headlights look like. Get a relay or capacitors so the igniter doesn't put too much strain on your stock wiring (for peace of mind). Learn from my mistakes...DO NOT BUY THE SLIM DC KITS FROM EBAY! 55w AC kits are the what you want trust me!

P.S. I am not affiliated with VVME. Just doing what I wish someone would have done for me. I would have saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the coupe .... same headlights..they are ok but I have to agree they are not great. I am going to add HID's and possibly upgrade the foglights. They have a HID kit for the Elantras and I will update this post after the install.

It may be a couple of weeks before I get this done, so if you decide to upgrade yours first ... please post!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Get a professional retrofit done.

Look into getting the Morimoto MiniH1 projectors. Easy to retrofit and cheap to buy. Run that with a HID kit and you will have some intensely bright lights that work!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Get a professional retrofit done.

Look into getting the Morimoto MiniH1 projectors. Easy to retrofit and cheap to buy. Run that with a HID kit and you will have some intensely bright lights that work!
heard good things about those morimoto projectors from the retrofit source, great option for us. sure beating buying used TSX or BMW E46 projectors.

i'd recommend buying a new set of headlights to do this retrofit on, definitely don't want to mess with your only brand new set of headlights.

anyone look into the price of elantra headlights?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've installed LED (ballasted) bulbs into my wife's GT and the headlights (projector) seem a bit low using this style LED bulb (large yellow dome LED element on one side of the bulb). I'm guessing the combination of projector lens and 'one sided' LED bulb make cause the throw to be shorter than expected. Bright on the ground just not too far out. The ballasted LED high beams I installed are EPIC! Same style bulb but different reflector assembly. They can over power the high beams of the car in front of you! (traveling same direction). VERY bright and high (tops of trees easily). I installed the same style high-beam LEDs in my Elantra Coupe with amazing results.
Due to lack of throw from the headlights, I'll be installing ballasted LED fog lights very soon to add more front end lighting.

Lighting systems care of PrecisionLED (head-lights and high-beams) and SuperBrightLEDs for the foglights (scheduled to arrive w/ in 72 hours).

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 2014 Elantra Coupe has HIDs for head lights and fog-lights (care of XenonSupply) and they work very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts