Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2013 Elantra with 1600 miles and am still getting only about 21
mpg in stop and go traffic only. I know this from the guage. I have not calculated it. The dealer told me that this is the break in period for the car and it will go up after that. Is this true? How long should I wait? I will sell the car if I cannot get the right mpg (28) at least. This is very disappointing to me.

Also, does the noise from accelerating bother anyone besides me? This is the noisiest new car I have driven vrooom! I have driven more than 20 new cars on vacations but have not heard this. Even from the first day.
Other than that, I like the car a lot.

Advice or comments?

·
Registered
137 Posts
still getting only about 21
mpg in stop and go traffic only. I know this from the guage.

Also, does the noise from accelerating bother anyone besides me? This is the noisiest new car I have driven vrooom!
You need to have the dealer check the intake parts to be sure that
there is not something loose but............

You can't believe the estimate on the display; it is only an estimate.

BUT if you are punching the pedal enough so that it makes a VROOM sound, then the problem is YOU and your driving habits and not the car.

Honestly.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Driving nicely is the best way to get good MPG. Brake early and slowly, take off easy (under 3k) and your fuel economy should improve. You'll also have less wear and tear on the entire drivetrain. Beat on it only when you NEED to. Our Coupe SE gets about 40 mpg on the highway @ 65 mpg with the sunroof vented (not completely open) with lights (headlights and fogs) and radio. Our long term average driving short distance (<5 miles) in city traffic is about 33.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still say and repeat that this is the LOUDEST new car that I have ever driven, yes even with a fairly light touch. I don't have a heavy foot. The car ought not roar as you go to pass another car. If you do not think it is loud, then I guess you are so accustomed to noise that it doesn't bother you folks. Maybe your radio is on loud as well or you block it out because you are talking, etc. To more sensitive ears it is annoying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Elantra is certainly not the quietest car in the compact class compared to say the Corolla or the Cruze. Where it shines is the performance, handling and features for the $. So turn up the radio a bit and enjoy the car :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Elantra is certainly not the quietest car in the compact class compared to say the Corolla or the Cruze. Where it shines is the performance, handling and features for the $. So turn up the radio a bit and enjoy the car :)
anyone getting a car like this shouldnt expect a quiet interior, high revving cheap four cylinder coupe/sedan is hard to make quiet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts