Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just got my Elantra Coupe on Jan 15. The GS model. Shimmering Silver. Its a nice color. I would have preferred the Gray. 6 Spd Auto.

Could someone explain to me the DRL function?? Do they automatically turn on? I see it shows DRL Off on the headlamp switch.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
The DRL funtionality for the coupe is very different then what I am used to as well. In most cases you start the car, release the parking brake and the DRL's come on. With the coupe you have to manually turn them on using the light stalk and that also turns on your running lights. When you shut off your car, it will shut off the DRL and running lights (delay if you are using the headlights) You can also manually turn off the headlights by hitting your key fob twice to lock.

("DRL off" turns both DRL and running lights off)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your saying its a Manual DRL?? If I leave the Headlamps On, Shut the car off, The lights will shut off??

DRLS that I am used to (GM) come on when you take the transmission out of Park.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yes it is a manual DRL, controlls are on your light stalk. If you turn it to "DRL off" then you have no DRL at all. Turn it to on, your DRL and running lights come on. Turn it all the way to headlights, you have regular headlight/running light functionality. In both "on" cases (either DRL or headlights) they will turn off automatically when you shut the car off although the headlight function has a 30 second delay.

Also if you click the fob twice to lock... it bypasses the delay and shuts off the headlights.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The DRL mode would be enabled on the Parking Light function?? This is where I am getting confused. Probably along with alot of others.

·
Registered
72 Posts
lol ... yea it took me a bit to figure it out as Hyundai changed it for the 2013 coupe and believe some other models.... the DRL functionality is enabled with the running lights (aka parking lights).... and you have the option to turn the DRL off completely which is something I have not seen a lot of.

Do you have a maual or automatic tranny?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My previous car 08 Malibu had Auto Headlamps.

I tried the Park Lamp switch. Lock the doors and the lights shut off.

Thanks, The DRL system is weird. In the sense that its not fully automatic.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Interesting that the controls for the DRLs are fully manual. DRLs that I am use to come on when you take the car out of park or put the ebrake down.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I guess we have to get used to the manual DRL, but I am not fond of the fact that as you are also turning on your running lights with the DRL ...the dash illumination dims as well. That kinda sucks during daylight hours!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its kinda good thing. I had DRLs added to an 01 Escape. They powered the Headlamps on low. But no Tail lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts