Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2013 4 dr new last fall. I like it a lot. However, I have one irritation and one thing that is turning into a real gripe. The irritation is that I did not get auto on headlights...and there is no buzzer or chime that goes off if the lights are on when you open the door. This is the first car I've had since the 70's that doesn't have that warning feature. I'm learning to turn around and look after I get out to make sure the lights are out. Now for the real gripe:

This is starting to feel like the absolutely worst car I've ever owned for snow. On loose wet snow that is more than an inch or so deep, It will bog down and go absolutely no where. It helps (a little) to turn the traction control off. This has been a challenge this winter in the midwest, where we've had more snow than we've had for years. I'm about ready to call the dealer and see what they suggest as far as different tires from the Hankook's that are there now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the one I got has the daylight lights that are automatic, the regular headlights need to be done manually. You can buy a buzzer that goes on the fuse that goes to the headlight and it will go off when the engine is shutdown and lights left on.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
What I found that helps when driving in winter when going from being stopped to getting up to the posted speed limit is using low gears, it helps with traction.

·
Registered
14 Posts
elantra fan, if ya watched the news on nat tv the other day, its easier to floorboard the throttle and just spin the wheels it seems. Made a big deal of it but as you say just put in low and let it idle forward to get going then add some throttle. Too easy, conversely just lock the brakes instead of pumping them to stop when on slick surfaces.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the service desk at the dealer to gripe about the tires, and he laughed and said he hears a lot about how the OE tires are the worst tires for snow on the planet. And then he told me that no, I can't get a credit or deal on new ones. I think I'm going to do my best to survive this winter and buy some good all-season tires in the spring or summer.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I called the service desk at the dealer to gripe about the tires, and he laughed and said he hears a lot about how the OE tires are the worst tires for snow on the planet. And then he told me that no, I can't get a credit or deal on new ones. I think I'm going to do my best to survive this winter and buy some good all-season tires in the spring or summer.
Your best bet is probably selling them on the local classifieds and use that money to spend on better tires, it's what I would do, or just try a different dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your best bet is probably selling them on the local classifieds and use that money to spend on better tires, it's what I would do, or just try a different dealer.
Another dealer? That's really funny. I live in the boonies in southern Illinois. The Hyundai dealer I'm working with is the only one for a hundred miles in any direction. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ps to Elantrafan: RE selling the slightly used tires on craigslist or whatever...I don't think I'd subject anyone that lives around here with these POS tires. They might be ok in South Texas or Miami, where the worst road conditions would be caused by rain.

·
Registered
173 Posts
ps to Elantrafan: RE selling the slightly used tires on craigslist or whatever...I don't think I'd subject anyone that lives around here with these POS tires. They might be ok in South Texas or Miami, where the worst road conditions would be caused by rain.
Nope, they are crap down here too. Even on dry sufaces. I dont know about the snow, but I had Nitto NeoGen tires on my VW and loved them even for rain with lots of puddles. They are more of a performance tire though, so I dont think they would do too well in the snow. When I lived in NC I had a Jeep with some very nice all terains on it so I never had to deal with winter tires for a car. however I did drive my Mustang with bald tires in the snow once.... only once. In fact, I waited till the snow and ice was gone to drive it home. I cant imagine the factory tires being any worse than that. Good luck with your search.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts