Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I've maintained my own vehicles and those of my family for most of my driving life. But with my two Elantras, I've gotten out of the habit as they seldom gave me trouble. My first Elantra was a 2004 SE. Nice little car bought second hand from my local Hyundai dealer. Got a really good deal as my daughter was then an apprentice mechanic there. She did most of the servicing there which got me out of the habit of doing my own service. About 10 years later I upgraded to my current 2015 Elantra Limited. About the same trim level but much more advanced in the technology. Yet was not the bleeding edge of technology such as the 2016 I could have bought at that time. The dealer had to search all of Ontario for a new 2015 as I did leave it a bit late especially since the model end sales were so great. Been a great car but I'm well out of warranty now and I should start paying more attention to the maintenance myself.
Just recently, I've noticed a rattle in the front end when driving over rough roads. Could be loose calipers. What do you think? I've also been smelling something like burning oil, but apparently no oil leak such as onto a manifold. And now I suddenly hear a louder exhaust note, so time for servicing. Turns out it is time for an oil change too, so just made an service appointment for it to look into these three issues. Service is providing me a loaner so, I'm not inconvienced if the service takes a while. Service tomorrow. Will update then if anyone interested in what's happening.
My daughter has moved on to another dealer as the Hyundai dealer did not have a non-apprentice position for her. She ended up with a good position with GM out west. So she will not be doing the servicing tomorrow on my car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott91370, you had the rattle correctly diagnosed."Right Front Stabilizer Link loose with play" according to dealer mechanic. Replaced and now no more rattle. Slight uncertainty of steering center seems also to be gone. Oil burning smell and later exhaust noise was from a blown out gasket. Nice and quiet now, but I think I still smell oil burning when idling for a while. No oil leak found.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts