Elantra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my daughter and I bought an automatic '08 Elantra for her first car (she turns 16 in Feb. and has her permit). I leased a 17 Elantra from '16-19 and it was a perfectly acceptable mode of transportation. I prefer cars with manuals, and motorcycles, but I think this will make a great first car--it only has 138k miles.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

I'm going in assuming no maintenance has been done and will be going through fluids, plugs, filters, etc. Looking forward to utilizing the wisdom here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check to see if there is any indication of the timing belt having been changed. It should be changed every 60,000 miles. I had 3 '08 Elantras that I had to maintain in my family and changed the timing belts many times. You don't want to have them fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check to see if there is any indication of the timing belt having been changed. It should be changed every 60,000 miles. I had 3 '08 Elantras that I had to maintain in my family and changed the timing belts many times. You don't want to have them fail.
I once had a timing belt break while driving on the freeway during rush hour (1991 Mercury Tracer). It was one of the worst and most expensive experiences of my life. Since then I have vowed to never buy a car that doesn't have a timing CHAIN. Please reassure me that my 2022 Elantra has a timing chain and not a belt like the salesman told me.
Pam

·
Super Moderator
142 Posts
Looks like since around 2011 they are all chains.

·
Registered
2010 Elantra SE sedan 2.0 automatic
16 Posts
X 2 on checking the oil I got a 2010 Elantra with a bad engine because it was run without or very little oil .I had a used engine installed by a local shop so far all is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts