Elantra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 16’ Elantra GT engine failed at 90k mile. It failed 2 weeks after I did my own oil change. Hyundai blamed me for not using the correct oil which is untrue. I’ve changed oil for years, I looked up the oil requirements and gotten 5w-30 syn since it was back in August when it was still warm outside.

When I experienced engine issues it started stalling prematurely few days before with the oil light coming on and the engine cutting out. Then it would be ok again but it felt weak under normal driving speeds then suddenly it just stalled and wouldn’t start anymore.

Hyundai wouldn’t cover it because they said I did not have regular oil maintenance done which was due to it being purchased used and the last time the oil was done on the report was at 74k. So I’m not sure when it was changed.

Fortunately Silverrock warranty covered the failure and I got a brand new engine and starter.

· Registered
30 Posts
Glad this will work out for you. I'll check out Silverrock.

While I would prefer to do my own oil changes, to keep the dealership from balking at any warranty repair I have them do the maintenance. Sure, I pay more, but it isn't that much more. And I have a stack of receipts the dealership can't deny because they have the store's name on it.

· Registered
14 Posts
I’m happy your motor was replaced. 👍
I have 2.0L in my 2015 Elantra Sport. Hyundai told me they warranty the motor up to 150K. Unfortunately mine has 180K on it now. Mine calls for 5W20 and uses a lot of oil. At 200K I’m going to rebuild the top end.

· Registered
4 Posts
My 16’ Elantra GT engine failed at 90k mile. It failed 2 weeks after I did my own oil change. Hyundai blamed me for not using the correct oil which is untrue. I’ve changed oil for years, I looked up the oil requirements and gotten 5w-30 syn since it was back in August when it was still warm outside.

When I experienced engine issues it started stalling prematurely few days before with the oil light coming on and the engine cutting out. Then it would be ok again but it felt weak under normal driving speeds then suddenly it just stalled and wouldn’t start anymore.

Hyundai wouldn’t cover it because they said I did not have regular oil maintenance done which was due to it being purchased used and the last time the oil was done on the report was at 74k. So I’m not sure when it was changed.

Fortunately Silverrock warranty covered the failure and I got a brand new engine and starter.
@kev18999 SilverRock is a third-party warranty company you had a policy with??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts