Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i see the new 2020 elantra has a new transmission.. call the IVT.. sorta like a CVT but using a chain? vs belt.

When we were in Hawaii in 2013 the rental car a nissan had a CVT transmission which was a smooth as silk and get about 30 mpg.. (big island) and if you have been to BI you know there is not many flat spot on the island..

When we got back I was at my local mech shop getting some work done on one of the vans and got to talking with the transmission guy.. I was commenting about how smooth the trans was and was like WOW..

He was like that same trans tech was used in a jag and it was a crap trans.. not the tran it self but the metal belt needing to be replaced at about 100K miles.. you have to dig it out of the trans to replace.. not a cheap deal.

So now i see in the 2020 hyundai they are using the IVT trans.. I tend to NOT want to be the lamb at slaughter for the new stuff..

was most going to suggest to the daughter, she is one looking, to maybe go with the proven 6 speed trans in the 2019 and let this IVT prove it self out or not..

thoughts.. ?? IVT crap or cream.. ??

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is a good question, and not one that can be answered fully...yet. With IVT being the new tranny, it has to prove itself. I had a 2017 Elantra Value Edition, and that car was truly a dream to drive. It wasn't worth anything at the track, but Sport mode meant that it was zippy off the line. I got some AMAZING mpg numbers for it...40mpg+ on a tank in a non-hybrid is nothing to scoff at. I also put just shy of 80k miles on it in less than 3 years, so I literally drove the $%#@ out of it. I haven't driven the IVT, since I was insistent that I wanted the Elantra Sport this time around. I asked the dealership why Hyundai isn't using the 2.0L with a turbo (like the Sonata) in the Elantra Sport, and they told me that the IVT can't handle the stresses of a Turbo...so that concerned me a little. Just sharing what they said, and not sure if that helps much...

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Elantra Luxury Sedan
11 Posts
So i see the new 2020 elantra has a new transmission.. call the IVT.. sorta like a CVT but using a chain? vs belt.

When we were in Hawaii in 2013 the rental car a nissan had a CVT transmission which was a smooth as silk and get about 30 mpg.. (big island) and if you have been to BI you know there is not many flat spot on the island..

When we got back I was at my local mech shop getting some work done on one of the vans and got to talking with the transmission guy.. I was commenting about how smooth the trans was and was like WOW..

He was like that same trans tech was used in a jag and it was a crap trans.. not the tran it self but the metal belt needing to be replaced at about 100K miles.. you have to dig it out of the trans to replace.. not a cheap deal.

So now i see in the 2020 hyundai they are using the IVT trans.. I tend to NOT want to be the lamb at slaughter for the new stuff..

was most going to suggest to the daughter, she is one looking, to maybe go with the proven 6 speed trans in the 2019 and let this IVT prove it self out or not..

thoughts.. ?? IVT crap or cream.. ??
I took possession of my new 2020 Elantra Luxury a week ago and one of the main reasons I bought it was due the design and performance of the IVT. I'm in my early 80s and driven about 3 and a half all types of vehicles since I got my license in 1953. In my opinion this is a very well built car for its price range and market niche.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I took possession of my new 2020 Elantra Luxury a week ago and one of the main reasons I bought it was due the design and performance of the IVT. I'm in my early 80s and driven about 3 and a half all types of vehicles since I got my license in 1953. In my opinion this is a very well built car for its price range and market niche.
I've driven over 3,500,000 in 67 years. I couldn't find a link to edit my earlier post.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The IVT is so smooth getting up to speed you can barely detect it.
When you get to desired cruising speed high gear you'll notice the RPM will decrease.
That's how it improves your gas mileage.
*Update:
I took it out on the highway and set the cruise at 110 km per hr the rpm for the 2.0 engine was 2500.
*Further update:
I've used the passing gear twice, once on an 80 km 2 lane highway and once on a 100 km 4 lane highway. My 2020 Elantra with the 2.0 engine and IVT performed perfectly. I liked the solid response when I pressed the gas pedal and gear ratio worked ideally and it has given me lots of confidence how it will perform in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts