Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1999 Hyundai Elantra and it had existing electrical issues....the one I'm having a problem with is the radio coming on "when it wants to" - my battery has drained multiple times which may have something to do with it, but since I don't use the radio much anyway, I just assume pull the fuse.

I can't seem to locate where the fuse is for the radio - I don't care if it affects the clock or not (I have a cell phone to check time), so if someone could tell me where to look, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is this a Factory (Hyundai) radio? If it is, It doesn't get turned on without the Key in Accessory or Run. If its Aftermarket, Its the way it was wired up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is factory, so maybe it's something else affecting my battery....seems odd that it just turns on randomly when I'm driving - thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know on my 13 Coupe, The Radio Turns on when I turn the Key to Acc or Run. From a Shut Off. I don't know if the 99 has the same feature?? If it does, I would Assume the Ignition Switch. Not the Lock Cylinder. The Electrical Switch connected to it. Or maybe a bad On/Off button on the radio. Anyone with a 99 model verify this? The Radio on with Key in Acc or Run.

The Fuse should be a Red 10A located under the Dash. That one is powered by the Ignition Switch. There is also one under the hood. Has Constant Power. 10A.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so in the relay box (under the hood), it's ok to pull the 10A fuse? I am assuming you're referring to the relay box on my vehicle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes. I have a Haynes Manual. Doesn't show me if anything else is on that Fuse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts