Elantra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My OEM tires are terrible in the snow even though they only have 30k on them and I'm considering Michelin Defenders. Does anyone have experience with these tires? My husband has the on his CRV and likes them. I did read one review on the Elantra and that person had lost a considerable amount of MPG. Also I'm not sure if I should get the T rated or H rated tires. The originals are H rated but the T rated may be better in the snow. Also Sears significantly different fuel economy ratings, the T being rated a 4 and the H being rated an 8, I'm not sure how they arrive at these ratings. Can't afford 2 sets of tires/wheels or I would get winter tires and my car is too old to make the investment.:eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Michelin Tires but I'de say that if you are truly worried about the MPG just go for the H. I had the same problem with my OEM's. Personally, I think they were the worst tires in snow and rain that I've ever had.

It won't be hard to find better tires than the OEM!! My treads were pretty worn after 30k... but I'm sure either option would be fine. It just depends on where you live. Since I live in Oklahoma I would go for H, but if you're in the north where you see a lot of snow then it might be safer to go with T.

That's just my 2 cents... :D

Just remember that the wider the tire the less MGP you will get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have Mich Defenders and live in the midwest snowbelt. Very little improvement in traction or stability. Personally, I am thinking the Elantra is just too light. Or maybe it just has a bad design for snow, ice, rain. Its ok on dry, but look out if its the least bit slippery!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts