Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
General question for those who drive a manual transmission. I find that when downshifting from 6th to 5th, the car isn't responding as expected. In fact, it feels a little sluggish. I find that if I want or need to accelerate faster, I have to downshift from 6th to 4th. Anyone else have this experience?

By the way, I own a 2013 sedan.

·
Registered
137 Posts
when downshifting from 6th to 5th, the car isn't responding as expected.
There really isn't THAT much difference between 5 and 6 so this probably means that you are downshifting too late, after the car has slowed too much.

IMHO, that first downshift should be made any time you even THINK about slowing down.......unless maybe you are travelling at a really high rate of speed.

I think what you describe is pretty normal......even with an automatic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
downshifting too late, after the car has slowed too much.
Thank you for the response. I'll keep in mind what you said about downshifting too late. And no, I don't drive excessively fast. I usually will downshift when my speed drops to around 60MPH and need or want faster acceleration. Otherwise, I'd keep it in 6th gear and gradually pick up speed again. So around 60MPH, downshifting from 6th to 5th seems useless. When I get a chance I'll try it at a higher speed just to see if there's a difference. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts