Elantra Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have learned more about this than I should have to. Have a 2013 Elantra Limited with tech package and a Motorola razor HD phone. The phone has three different Gmail accounts running on it.
The problem: the Bluetooth phone set up in the car will allow you to pair up to five devices with each one having 1000 contacts. By the way, any line of data within a contact takes away from that total number. What that means is that you can have 1000 contact names each with one phone number, or 500 contact names with two phone numbers, etc., etc.. But since there are three very active Gmail accounts I monitor on this phone, my phone had over 3000 contacts and was unable to sync with the cars Bluetooth. It would just get up to about 560 contacts and then just spin endlessly. On another aside, the car system does not store any phone numbers. Every time you get into the car it downloads them anew. If you're unfamiliar with that concept, it takes a while to wrap your head around. There is NO internal storage device for the phone in the car. So unless I was willing to reduce the number of contacts on my phone, I was going to be unable to use the contact feature of the phone in the car. I believe I figured out a workaround however. It is possible to go into the settings on the cell phone and control exactly what is synced between each individual Gmail account and the cell phone. For instance you can sync any or all between calendars, photos, contacts, etc. So the first thing I did was prevent any of the Gmail accounts from syncing any contacts from the phone. What I intend to do now is delete every contact off of the cell phone. I've already created a new gmail account which I will get onto the phone. After I've deleted all the contacts I already have, I will feed into the new Gmail account only those numbers that I want on my car's Bluetooth device. It probably won't wind up being more than 30 or 40 numbers that I really NEED to call on a regular basis. Then I keep it set so that none of the other Gmail accounts will synch contacts. They will synch email, but only the one new account will sync contacts.
Unbelievable that you cannot manually enter contacts into the phone in the car. If I could do that, I could solve my problem in about 30 minutes instead of jumping through all these hoops. So I haven't actually done all this yet, but I thought it through, and it seems like it should work. Idiotic that the phone will allow you to five devices with 1000 contacts in each, but limits you to 1000 contacts in any one account.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts