Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

I've been a member of several forums, but this is my first time here. Mostly I'm trying to troubleshoot tech issues, or looking for cool mods for my vehicles.

This post is a bit different.

Yesterday after removing my kids car seat I noticed what appeared to be evidence of mouse crap and food debris (chewed up acorns) underneath the seat. After scratching my head a bit I looked in the truck. To my dismay there was a small nest in the foam insert where the spare tire should be. I set a Victor trap, which engaged but was unsuccessful.

The car is my wife's 2013 Elantra GLS, and frankly she is a bit freaked out to drive the thing right now. I'm sure in time I'll get the little bugger(s) out, but my question is this: where would I find the access point in this car that would allow these vermin in it to begin with? Doors and windows are always shut tight.

Any help or ideas would be great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Hope this info helps out others in the future. I found out the mouse was getting in and out of the vehicle through the cabin air filter (chewed his way through, of course). Behind the cowl is a VERY easy entrance into the car for a small rodent. I made a modification with some small strips of sheet metal, heavy duty aluminum window screen, aluminum tape and short sheet metal screws. I'd be surprised to see them back. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Keep an eye on the Sheet Metal. Its going to Rust. Unless you coated it?? Hardware stores sell an Aluminum Bar, 1/16 or 1/8" Thick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the sheet metal b/c it was pliable enough for the contours. I did actually wrap it in aluminum tape too -- we'll see how it holds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts