Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I own a 2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan and also am new to the Elantra
forums. I have a couple questions that may be related. First, as mentioned in the title when i accelerate the car , I hear a "knocking" or rattle type sound.
I am not very car savvy and wondered if anyone here has has this issue and
has a solution. Also, I wondered if anyone has a opinion about what gasoline brand is best for a 06 Elantra. I have been using QT 87 octane.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions or ideas people may have.

~Neil

·
Registered
137 Posts
when i accelerate the car , I hear a "knocking" or rattle type sound.

I have been using QT 87 octane.
Let's hope for a loose mount of some kind......exhaust or motor mount or even radiator mount. You probably need to have a shop look/listen.

The gas should be fine.....unless the knock is coming from inside the engine, in which case a tankful of premium gas would be a good test to do.

A bottle of Techron in the gas every 10K miles or about every oil change is recommended.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check oil level too. I've heard this before when a car is getting low on oil and there isn't much lube on the timing chain.

I've read that sometimes testing of gas stations has revealed they are selling gas below the stated octane rating. Stay away from odd brands. It might be worthwhile to run a full tank of another brand/station, if you always fill up at the same spot.

There was a scheme in the 90's where toxic waste was sold to a disposal company, which blended it with gas and sold it back to the cheap no-name gas bars. It crossed the border in shipping, making it harder to trace what was going on.

Rattle under engine load does sound like a timing issue, which could be checked out once the other possibilities are eliminated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts