Elantra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some positive and negative things about what driving the Elantra GT is like but I want to hear what real owners on this forum have to say. To the GT owners, do you find the Elantra hatchback to be an enjoyable vehicle to drive that could possibly be fun on a road course track or is it the typical entry level boring hatchback that is only good as an A-to-B car?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not a track car, still a great car.

This car excels at the comfort/ style/ economy/ feature equation, but it is not an enthusiast's vehicle. I came from owning two MINI Cooper S's in a row, and by far and away would rather be driving those cars. That having been said, I have a second child on the way and feel great about my purchase. I would recommend this car for many things, but road course, you should really go with the Mazda3/ Mazdaspeed3. The suspension is VERY mushy, you cannot trail brake it at all without it busting loose, and the nose dives under braking so hard you'd think you were on the hunt for red october. The low rolling resistance tires also let it down with handling which can easily be addressed. The gap between second and third gear would leave you hanging on a 45mph curve, as would the very narrow and hard to place HP band.

As a daily driver, best 5 door for the $ on the market. As a track car, you can do a whole lot better elsewhere.

I've heard some positive and negative things about what driving the Elantra GT is like but I want to hear what real owners on this forum have to say. To the GT owners, do you find the Elantra hatchback to be an enjoyable vehicle to drive that could possibly be fun on a road course track or is it the typical entry level boring hatchback that is only good as an A-to-B car?

·
Registered
8 Posts
This car excels at the comfort/ style/ economy/ feature equation, but it is not an enthusiast's vehicle. I came from owning two MINI Cooper S's in a row, and by far and away would rather be driving those cars. That having been said, I have a second child on the way and feel great about my purchase. I would recommend this car for many things, but road course, you should really go with the Mazda3/ Mazdaspeed3. The suspension is VERY mushy, you cannot trail brake it at all without it busting loose, and the nose dives under braking so hard you'd think you were on the hunt for red october. The low rolling resistance tires also let it down with handling which can easily be addressed. The gap between second and third gear would leave you hanging on a 45mph curve, as would the very narrow and hard to place HP band.

As a daily driver, best 5 door for the $ on the market. As a track car, you can do a whole lot better elsewhere.

I'm a new owner, barely 350 miles on the clock. I already think it's a fun comfortable car but I had no illusions of it being a 'sports car'. I was coming from a 2006 Impala with 300hp, so coming in knowing I'd have 1/2 the HP I was concerned. I test drove it and it was quick enough. I'm babying the engine until I have at least 500 miles on it, but I am plenty satisfied so far.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm a new owner, barely 350 miles on the clock. I already think it's a fun comfortable car but I had no illusions of it being a 'sports car'. I was coming from a 2006 Impala with 300hp, so coming in knowing I'd have 1/2 the HP I was concerned. I test drove it and it was quick enough. I'm babying the engine until I have at least 500 miles on it, but I am plenty satisfied so far.
although the Elantra is much lower in power I know it's lighter curb weight helped with it still feeling sporty.

Would you ever go back to a bigger engine RWD vehicle?

·
Registered
8 Posts
although the Elantra is much lower in power I know it's lighter curb weight helped with it still feeling sporty.

Would you ever go back to a bigger engine RWD vehicle?
I tell you, I am really enjoying this small car. Plenty of interior room, turns on a dime and fits anywhere. I can't complain at all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I trade my Veloster for the GT - they GT is much more of the luxury car (for me) I have the style and tech package - what I really like is the remote start from my phone. Nice to have a cool care in Texas..

·
Registered
153 Posts
I trade my Veloster for the GT - they GT is much more of the luxury car (for me) I have the style and tech package - what I really like is the remote start from my phone. Nice to have a cool care in Texas..
Good move, the Veloster is just too common these days and I hate how it has the 3rd door on one side, never understood why they didn't include a door just like it on the drivers side. Elantra GT's look better, aren't as common for now, and as you said, it's much more of the luxury car.

I bet next generation Velosters will be much better though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All I have to say is those veloster are friggin fast for what they are. I see them buzzing by all the time on the highway.
I had a Veloster with Style pkg and 6spd MT. Unfortunately it was a lemon, and if you go to the Veloster forum you'll see I was not alone in that. The car is riddled with problems. I like what I see at this forum, very few problems at all. I got Hyundai to take back my Veloster that was a lemon after a few months fighting with them. And I've got the Elantra GT with Style, Tech, and MT in return. So far 5 days in, very happy with it. Sure it's not as sporty or fast as the Veloster, BUT it works flawlessly! Everything works perfectly! My Veloster was in the shop 2 to 5 times a month for the last 10 months. Believe me that gets old real fast! Hoping to have better luck with this GT than I did with my Veloster!! Hopefully for the 2014 models they will get the bugs out of Veloster. Have a look at Veloster.org and you'll see what I mean, soooooooooo many serious problems with that car!! I had a love hate relationship with mine. I loved it, but hated it being in the shop all the time!:eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
All I have to say is those veloster are friggin fast for what they are. I see them buzzing by all the time on the highway.
before getting my GT i test drove both the new GTI (which i fell in love with- but no so much the insurance prices) and the Veloster Turbo (again, a pretty penny more than what I pay now for my GT). the VW was of course outstanding, but i never expected the Veloster Turbo to be on par with such an enthusiast hatchback. still waiting on a solid turbo kit for our car, just might persuade me to buy and keep Gigi after my 2 year lease and not go for the new 2 series. (yes, my car is a lease. no, i won't keep it stock because i actually want to enjoy driving it for 2 years ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts