Elantra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hyundai has announced plans to launch a performance brand that will hopefully help the company move beyond its value-focused brand image, and bring in more young customers. The sub-brand will rival Nissan performance arm Nismo and debut in 2015 at the same time that the company will release its next-generation i20 and i20-based WRC race car.

Hyundai Motorsport team principal Michel Nandan said, "The idea of Hyundai was to connect the experience, engineering-wise, of the sport program with high performance concept," adding that the project is still at least a year away.

The upcoming performance brand will likely be developed at Hyundai's new testing facility at Nurburgring.

Do you think this is the right move for Hyundai which has been looking for ways to diversify its brands to be competitive in a wider area of the auto industry?

·
Registered
363 Posts
this is a good move on their part, best way to move Hyundai up and give people a better impression about them. I just hope their performance brand delivers performance as good as AMG, BMW's 'M' and others like them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
cool idea but what pedigree are they going to pull from? Hyundai can compare themselves to NISMO all they want but NISMO has track tried performance research for over 20 years.. Hyundai has a building at the Nurburgring... OK sure....

Performance isn't just some bolt on after thought, oh well, best of luck to Hyundai maybe we'll start to see the return of the small RWD hatch!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to judge Hyundai with their effort for a performance brand. Just look how well the Genesis 2.0T and 3.8 models perform. It's a good example of what they can do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think that Hyundai likely already has some idea of what they are doing when it comes to performance, and even if they didn't, you have to start somewhere, right? I think that this is a really good move for Hyundai. Sports packages could be a really enticing option for many buyers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
never said it was a bad idea, what was asked was where is Hyundai going to pull from? They have no racing history let alone performance history. Every other in house performance shop was spawned from the makers racing program. SVT, M, Mopar, NISMO, Mugen, TRD...

Plus its Euro only for now... Genesis is a cool car but its not winning many races is it... Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday...

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's not clear where Hyundai is going to be pulling its racing technology from, but maybe they already have some stuff up their sleeve that has been in development in a while. Hyundai is still going to take years before this performance division is completely up and running, so whether the hard work has already started, or is about to begin, the real goal is still pretty far down the road.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is a good way to exoand their line. Having to participate in a racing progrma is pretty much trial and error and with a WRC i20 on it way this could only mean good.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Very true, with racing involvement it just means more performance models for the masses, it's the next best step for Kia and Hyundai.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its' definitely up in the air at this point. Hyundai could surprise us all and make some amazing performance vehicles and parts, or it could flop and pale in comparison to its stiff competition. You have to start somewhere though. I wonder what Hyundai will focus on first with their performance division.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Not a bad idea but they have to play their cards right.

What cars can they implement right away?

create a high performance elantra

carry the genesis over.

what else

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point in all of this. "performance" brands are margin padders. Look at IPL G37 vs regular G37, your paying an extra $11K for black trim and an extra 5 hp.

they don't actually have to have any performance just say they do, remember its not illegal to lie to you ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Veloster

Hyundai has announced plans to launch a performance brand that will hopefully help the company move beyond its value-focused brand image, and bring in more young customers. The sub-brand will rival Nissan performance arm Nismo and debut in 2015 at the same time that the company will release its next-generation i20 and i20-based WRC race car.

Hyundai Motorsport team principal Michel Nandan said, "The idea of Hyundai was to connect the experience, engineering-wise, of the sport program with high performance concept," adding that the project is still at least a year away.

The upcoming performance brand will likely be developed at Hyundai's new testing facility at Nurburgring.

Do you think this is the right move for Hyundai which has been looking for ways to diversify its brands to be competitive in a wider area of the auto industry?

My wife owns a 11 Kia Optima SX Turbo and its an absolute blast to drive. I have several vehicles one being a 02 Elantra 150k and still looks like new. I am a fanatic when it comes to detailing all of my cars. I painted the front and rear bumpers, and fixed the rusted rear qtrs. where the facia meets the body.
This was a poor design which has been fixed on newer models. The facia and steel meets have been curved downward not to pool water on a level surface.
I had to weld steel in those areas. The Elantra is our mall and downtown parking car. Its been sideswiped in a parking garage last Pirate game so I need to repaint the bumper and front fender. Getting back to performance. My mechanic changed the timing belt and advanced the time a bit and the performance change is fantastic. I am need of another belt change and he will check where the timing falls to insure I get that on the new change. I hit a hundred on the turnpike and had a lot more to go. The car does surprise friends. I would like to see the Veloster Turbo get the Sonata 2 liter engine of course as a turbo model. I would be willing to pay premium. Once I retire the Elantra a performance model is my next vehicle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think you guys are missing the point in all of this. "performance" brands are margin padders. Look at IPL G37 vs regular G37, your paying an extra $11K for black trim and an extra 5 hp.

they don't actually have to have any performance just say they do, remember its not illegal to lie to you ;)
I'm going to agree with this. They dont have to do anything crazy with these cars. They are quite nice already. They need to do things that would be more apealing to the younger crowd. Take the Elantra gt for example. Put the Veloster Turbo or Genesis turbo motor in it and do some suspension work and the car would rival GTI's and be cheaper as well. Same with the Elantra sedan and coupe. most of what they would need to do though would only be superficial; wheels, spoilers, sport styling on the inside and out. They could do like a $3k-$5k package and really apeal to more people. With most people today it wont matter how many races they've won. People will be more likely to buy the car based on looks and advertising. The Genesis coupe is a perfect example of this. That car sold great and has a huge fallowing. Hyundai had less of a racing pedigree then than they do now. This is going to be a good move for Hyundai as long as they put the money into marketing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts