Elantra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Chicago Tribune Nov. 11, Hyundai Corp. admits that they overstated the fuel economy of all their cars and Kia cars.

So now itis official. Executives have been fired.

What do we plan to do about this?

If anyone plans a U.S. lawsuit, I'm in.

·
Registered
137 Posts
According to the Chicago Tribune Nov. 11,
Was that Nov. 11, 2012 ??

This is OLD news......except maybe for an outright admission.

Do some searching.
There should be a LOT of information about this out there in the "cloud".
I think it has been ongoing for a couple of years now......and IIRC does not impact the 2013 and later models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure about the lying about mpg figures, but I can confirm that execs resigned today. I read that it was because of the mass of recalls that Hyundai has had to issue in the past year. Over 1 million vehicles! What a disaster.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What else is new :)

Hyundai has a bad reputation for doing this. But Hyundai arent the only ones.

A few domestic brands have also lied in the past.

·
Registered
173 Posts
What else is new :)

Hyundai has a bad reputation for doing this. But Hyundai arent the only ones.

A few domestic brands have also lied in the past.
Most, if not all, manufacturers lie, cheat and steal form their customers. This is nothing new. Every auto manufacturer has their dirty little secrets and schemes to try and brush them under the rug or cover them up. So why would anyone expect Hyundai to be any different?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wouldn't think that companies outright lie. Selectively choosing what info to share and things like that I think is common place, but not an outright lie. Although apparently Hyundai is lying to people. Not very good business practice. What else do you think they are lying to us about?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I personally dont care though. I came from a Jeep and even with the fact that I now have a payment and insurance went up, it's still costing me less total for this car than I was paying just in gas on the Jeep. I'm getting about 30mpg with mine and thats a mix of highway and city with a little bit of stop and go. I expect it to go up a little as I put some more miles on it. I still have less than 500 miles on it right now so I'm only on my 2nd tank of gas.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I personally dont care though. I came from a Jeep and even with the fact that I now have a payment and insurance went up, it's still costing me less total for this car than I was paying just in gas on the Jeep. I'm getting about 30mpg with mine and thats a mix of highway and city with a little bit of stop and go. I expect it to go up a little as I put some more miles on it. I still have less than 500 miles on it right now so I'm only on my 2nd tank of gas.
At least you're still saving in the end, higher insurance rate on cars like these is the downside to going with them but nothing beats the gas mileage they get especially for what the vehicle is priced at. Good move on going to this from a Jeep.

·
Registered
173 Posts
At least you're still saving in the end, higher insurance rate on cars like these is the downside to going with them but nothing beats the gas mileage they get especially for what the vehicle is priced at. Good move on going to this from a Jeep.
I miss my Jeep, but I couldn't argue with the fact that it wasn't safe to have a baby riding along in it. It was a 99 Cherokee 4x4 and it needed about 2k worth of parts and I cant work on it at our place so I estimated another 1-1.5k in labor. I will end up getting another one, but right now we dont have room where we live. With that said though, I really do enjoy driving this car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Elantra milege

I purchased a new 2013 Elantra 2 months ago after a lot of research and comparison of various makes and models. The car was rated 28 mpg city, 38 highway. I haven't come close to those numbers. On a 1,400 mile trip that was 99% interstate, using cruise control, I got 32.5 mpg. After internet search, I found that Hyundai settled a lawsuit for overstating mileage, but that did not affect 2013 models. The dealership cannot do anything but they gave me a Hyundai customer service number and they can't do anything. Over the last 10 years, I've driven 24,000 miles per year. If I assume I should be getting 10% more mpg, I estimate this will cost me $250 per year with gas at $3.45/gal. I've driven Toyotas for over 20 years and switched to Hyundai after hearing a lot of positive things about their cars. In retrospect, it was a bad decision. I guess the lesson I've learned is to do more internet research before a major purchase.

·
Registered
137 Posts
In retrospect, it was a bad decision.
I guess the lesson I've learned is to do more internet research before a major purchase.
Maybe not.
The phrase "YOUR mileage may vary" has some real meaning.

Because it is YOUR driving habits and route selection and weather conditions and vehicle loading and.......on and on.....that determines YOUR resulting MPG results. What others report may not be significant to YOU.

I have found it difficult to get my Elantra above 34 average even when most of the driving is on the highway.

BUT.....that is average and just a little stop and go drags down the average quickly. So does a little extra speed. You can easily lose 10% by driving 75 instead of 65.

So, next time you are on the highway, set the cruise to 65 and then reset the average MPG display and see what it tells you after 50 miles or so.

P.S. How's your tire pressure ?? Being just a couple of pounds low can have a measurable impact too.......and this is the time of year when that can happen just because of temperature changes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
^^^^ Very good points. There are quite a few factors to consider while comparing fuel economies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dickb47

Thanks for the note. I agree with you. I wish that I had read this forum first. I don't do highway driving, so I don't know about that. Some dealers told me to wait until the car is fully "broken in". Excuse?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts