Elantra Forum banner

How would you build the Hyundai Elantra?

• 1.6-liter turbodiesel I-4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.0-liter turbo I-4 + all-wheel drive

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • 2.4-liter I-4 + electric motor

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 1.6-liter turbo I-4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Retuned steering and suspension

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would take the diesel engine model but it's not available in North America so that's out of the picture. Hybrid's are just if you want to be a tree huger, not much savings if any with them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would make the Elantra hybrid or diesel to make it a commuter car. While the Elantra is practical I would make it more fun by making it a sportier suspension and performance tuned engine. I would put a switch in for practical commuter purposes than when I want to have fun, switch it it to make the exhaust louder and stiffen the suspension. Better handling.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am gunning for the hybrid electric motor. We will see how much money it saves in the long run, but I am looking forward to not having to fill up with gas as often even if the savings are that much because of the higher price. Plus, if we keep the vehicle long enough it will eventually pay for itself.

And you get that nice little hybrid badge that shames all of your friends that drive gas guzzling cars.

·
Registered
363 Posts
an elantra hybrid would be sweet, it would start a trend in the industry with compact hybrids, hyundai should jump on the idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
2.0 Turbo with AWD, an Elantra like that is $100 away from a turbo tune and an extra 50 horses to play with. Besides, everyone has a Civic...

·
Registered
363 Posts
2.0 Turbo with AWD, an Elantra like that is $100 away from a turbo tune and an extra 50 horses to play with. Besides, everyone has a Civic...
That would be sweet, it's basically like Hyundai's version of the Cobalt SS, in a way. With that being mentioned if they do it, then it might be time that they bring the "R-Spec" badge down to the Elantra.

R-Spec Elantra Turbo..... it sounds really good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It would be nice to have the hybrid rather than the straight EV just for when I go on long road trips. Charging stations are not widely available enough yet, and I want to be able to continue driving if I need to. most of the time I won't even have to use gas, but I would really like the option to still.

I have also been thinking about a Prius...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Only when the percentage of EV owners increase, that is when you will see more charging stations available but for now hybrids are stealing the show.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have also been thinking about a Prius...
In a non-plugin hybrid, I think the Ford Fusion is a much better value than the Prius. Rides, feels and looks better to.....IMHO.

In a hybrid-hybrid (can plug in but don't have to) I think the Chevy Volt is the technology leader. Even with a $5K price drop this year, a little pricey though.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think the rear suspension needs to be independent and more precise steering would also help. Rarely could we use more engine power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts