Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group,

I'm wondering what the ballpark cost in Canadian dollars would be for the following repair situation. My car sat in water when we had a floor recently and the repair shop (not the dealership) told us that it's about ~$1500 to replace the rear rotor (which had been machined once already and can't be replaced again because it had rusted), seized calipers and rear brake pads.

I don't know what the shop rate is, but how long should it take to make the repairs and replace the parts? I had my husband take the car in so I wouldn't get the "woman's price" but it seems so excessive :\ Going to take it in for another quote and want to be sure!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Going to take it in for another quote and want to be sure!
Guessing that would be about $1000 US or a little more.....that is WAY overboard for just rear brakes if they were rebuilding the calipers.

Maybe putting on NEW everything.......but it still sounds high.

If that is due to water damage, will your insurance cover any of the cost ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Easy Rider, I only have collision on the car. It's not worth very much, but I can try calling.

We were looking at old service records and the rotors are a $250 part from the dealer, so that was good to find out.

Generally everything is more expensive in Canada...I know the timing belt needs to be replaced. My dad's mechanic quoted $400 to replace that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My dad's mechanic quoted $400 to replace that.
That isn't a bad price for a timing belt job.
You should ask him about the brakes too.
And check the other belts while you are at it.

If you mean that you only have "liability" coverage, don't bother.
Comprehensive coverage is a really cheap add-on to collision though so it might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi Easy Rider, I only have collision on the car. It's not worth very much, but I can try calling.

We were looking at old service records and the rotors are a $250 part from the dealer, so that was good to find out.

Generally everything is more expensive in Canada...I know the timing belt needs to be replaced. My dad's mechanic quoted $400 to replace that.
the dealership will always be expensive, you're better off finding an automotive parts store in your area that carries aftermarket brand brake parts, it will be far more cheaper and depending on the quality, will last you a good enough time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Easy Rider, we found a second quote that was much less, whew!

Thanks ElantraFan...the dealership is always $$$ anyway! Yeah, if we had been thinking ahead we could have just gotten the parts and saved on some of the bills. Next time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts