Elantra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about ready to buy a 2013 Elantra Limited and then I read on the net last night that they are a nightmare to drive in the winter! Seeing I live in Michigan and drive my cars for my job...(all over multiple states), this concerns me. Can anyone verify this? Is it the Hankook tires that come on it? I really love these cars and I don't feel like starting the looking process over.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hmmmm this is a tough response. My GT is no worse than my old sunfire, it's really no treat. A good winter tire will help a lot. I didn't get winters this year myself.

·
Registered
296 Posts
What would make them bad to drive in the winter? They are front wheel drive.

A good set of winter tires is enough to get you through winter just as well as any other front wheel drive. The suspension is a bit harsh but it's nothing that would make it a problem.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I got stuck, leaving the trac control on is pointless IMHO, I turned it off in extreme conditions... I know sounds bass ackwards

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is a light car, absolutely agree.... With good tires (the stock ones suck) the car isn't bad in the snow. I replaced the stock tires with general c-max and had no issues in the snow.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Now that's it's finally snowed where I am, our '14 Coupe does fine w/ snow tires (Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT 215/45/17). I think the weight could be the biggest issue. Another member is right about the stock tires...junk in the wet and snow. If you feather them you'll be ok but after that don't expect much. On snow when it does break loose it does so predictably so you have a little time to correct. Over do it and it'll just slide.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Manual tells you to Disable it in certain situations. Mud and Snow

·
Registered
1 Posts
Snow driving

I don't have one yet, but I'm looking at buying one in the next 6 months.
I rented an Elantra and had the unfortunate luck to drive it in this storm on these roads, luckily for me, driving the other direction, but I saw the aftermath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEgeCY85848
It wasn't a fun drive, in the first 100 yards, I stopped to make sure the tires weren't flat or bald.
That being said, I don't think any other car with those tires would be any better. I drive for work(about 30,000 miles), and am looking at buying one, so it want' that big an issue for me.
M

·
Registered
8 Posts
As others have suggested, winter driving is less about the car itself than the tire. Some all-seasons are better than others. And a true winter tire will help a lot on any car.

Traction control could be another factor. Some Hyundai / Kia systems are awful. (I don't know about the one in the Elantra specifically.) They'll fully cut power mid-turn in reaction to a modest amount of wheel spin. The solution is to turn the traction control off. But not the stability control, you want that. I'm not sure if you can turn off the stability control in these cars. If you can it'll be by holding down the traction control button for 10+ seconds, so it won't happen by mistake.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's all about traction, in any condition. Deep treaded snow tires are best for snow. Need to drive differently too. Sudden movements of the car and control may be lost. Whether, braking, turning or accelerating. Need more time and space to account for the lack of traction you're used to during warmer months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
own a '14 GT. live in Nashville area. had first bad weather here since owning it.
lots of snow and ice. drove to work and back with no problem. minor slippage do to over acceleration. but no big deal. car has low clearance and stock NEXEN tires ( according to experts - not good in snow ), plus wheel well gets a lot of snow build up, but if you keep your speed down you should do fine.
I will replace tires with better brand when the time comes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts