Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm new to this forum, but very glad I found it. I've got two '05 GTs, bought my wife's brand new, now has 225k on it and still going strong. Just bought myself one about a year ago with 60k on it, this one is a 5-speed and i love driving it.

The only problem with this newer on is that my hatchback no longer stays open (quite a literal pain in my neck when i found that out, as it came crashing down on my head!). Does anyone know where to get replacement parts for that hatchback lift mechanism, or even what exactly it is called? I've been trying to search auto parts places online, but I'm not even sure what to call those 2 pneumatic lifters that keep the hatch opne.

Thanks so much in advance!!!!

2005 Elantra GT
5-door

·
Registered
296 Posts
There is a possibility that the struts are just not working well due to the cold weather.

if that is not the case I would contact your dealership and inquire with the dealership to see how much the replacement strut is. Once you get a quote ask for the part number.

Now search that part number up online and buy it online for cheaper :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
How would the cold weather affect how the hatch works? I've never experienced anything like that? To me, it sounds like something is broken. You'll need to visit your dealer and figure out what part to order.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's just the hatch struts. You can pick them up at any autoparts store. I just had to deal with this on my father in laws GT. take on of them off and bring it in to the store to match them up. To get them off, at either end of the strut there are ball joints. on the outside ofthe joint you will see metal clips, use a small flat head screw driver to pry the clips open (there is a small slot for the screw driver to fit into). after the clips are open pry the strut off. make sure there is something supporting the hatch if you think it was heavy with some help form the bad struts, it's gonna feel like twice that when they aren't there anymore. the longest part of this job is finding the new struts and paying for them. it literally takes about 2 minutes to do the job. the new struts should run you about $20 each.

·
Registered
173 Posts
How would the cold weather affect how the hatch works? I've never experienced anything like that? To me, it sounds like something is broken. You'll need to visit your dealer and figure out what part to order.
The struts are oil filled so temperature will effect the performance, however, cold weather would cause the oil to thicken which would make the struts hold more. Hot weather would thin the oil a bit so they would hold less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all - I'm new to this forum, but very glad I found it. I've got two '05 GTs, bought my wife's brand new, now has 225k on it and still going strong. Just bought myself one about a year ago with 60k on it, this one is a 5-speed and i love driving it.

The only problem with this newer on is that my hatchback no longer stays open (quite a literal pain in my neck when i found that out, as it came crashing down on my head!). Does anyone know where to get replacement parts for that hatchback lift mechanism, or even what exactly it is called? I've been trying to search auto parts places online, but I'm not even sure what to call those 2 pneumatic lifters that keep the hatch opne.

Thanks so much in advance!!!!

2005 Elantra GT
5-door
The struts should be available at any Hyundai dealership, or just about any autoparts store too. I've had an 03 Elantra GT and now I have a 2013, great cars!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts