Elantra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum so Hi :⁠-⁠) I have a Hyundai Elantra (2020) that i recently had to do a battery replacement on (just outside the 3yr warranty, of course). Since it's my wife's car and we both work from home now as of a year ago the cars don't get used a lot. I'm wanting to make sure the car battery gets topped up. To that end i found a solar panel battery charger. However, the Elantra's 12v port doesn't connect with the battery when the car is off. I was looking at the fuse box panel to think about if there was a way to connect via there, and not energize something that shouldn't be. So, I was wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with needing to connect to the battery from within the passenger compartment, or suggestions on hooking up a battery tender.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For an external hookup, yea, i could see that. I was wanting to hardwire the solar charger that will sit inside the car. Otherwise I'm not sure how to get through the firewall without drilling holes, which i don't want to do.

From other posts on here I've found the add-a-fuse idea using a micro2 holder. I'm going to need to investigate what ones are connected when the ignition is off but that might be how I'll go about it.

· Super Moderator
174 Posts
Ahhh, solar. That does change the game.

The add a fuse would be a great idea and alternative to drilling. Only think I would suggest is that the charger have a way to turn off when battery reaches full.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts