Elantra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2018 Elantra with 31,000kms on it and I started to notice right away that when the engine is cold, especially if it is a very cold day, there is a ticking or clacking noise that goes away once it is up to operating temperature or sometimes after just a minute or two. This is the Nu 2.0 liter engine. I heard the older Nu 18 engines had problems with piston slap. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't speak to your car, but have you checked the oil level when it is cold? Or had the oil changed in it yet? I usually see this in older cars when the oil is low, or degraded. I replaced the oil in my 2017 with full synthetic and never had any issues with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check you oil filter.... I was running WIX 51334... And I have always been using M1 5w20... And in cold morning during initial start up.. I was getting a ticking also and for about 1 min after I would drive off..

I picked up some Mann W811/80 who makes the OEM filter for Hyundai, and initial ticking is gone... And still running M1 5w20.

If you cant not get W811/80, get OEM Hyundai filter then...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Stick with OEM Hyundai oil filters all the time, every time....you won't regret it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2018 Elantra with almost 50,000 Km on the odometer.
I think the recommendation from sooperkleen19 and cb900f2 to use the OEM filter is good advice.
I have found the 147 HP 2.0 L engine to be extremely quiet and refined.
The sound from my engine is barely audible when the engine is cold.
Once it gets warm, the engine is extraordinarily quiet.
I have always used the OEM Hyundai filter and quality 5W-20 engine oil.
I used only conventional oil for the first 20,000 Km but I have been using synthetic oil in the colder winter months more recently.
Also, I change the oil every 5,000 - 6,000 Km.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts