Elantra Forum banner

Engine intermittent around 1500rpm

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Pudge123 
#1 ·
2013, 1.8. No codes. Throttle body changed- same problem.
Problem: Engine turns off for a split second around 1400-1700 RPM only...idles ok, fast is ok also. ...check engine light flashes when cutting out. ECU??? I tried loading a vid of the dash/tach but the format is wrong?

#2 · (Edited)
Tough one. Many potential probs.
Timing / crank sensor. Loose connector in many different wiring harnesses. Fuel pump? Fuel pump pressure regulator? You say “turns off,” does it stall? Do you have to restart it or just hiccup then because rolling it starts again? Manual or automatic tranny? Where to start????
Was the car in an accident? Owned since new? How many miles? Ever water flooded? Rebuilt title?

#3 ·
I owned it for 6 years... a granddaughter recently got it, 97k...clean history. Coincidentally, the crank sensor just went bad, also.
It hiccups and keeps going. If driving it bucks pretty hard when it happens. We just sent out the ECU...I'll post a follow-up.

#4 ·
Interesting. It does sound like there is a hiccup in the ignition system and a bad crank sensor could be your problem. Connector messed up when it was replaced? Non OEM sensor not playing well with ECM? How long after the sensor replacement (miles) did this problem start? Was a OEM sensor used? I seriously doubt it is the ECM.

I had a 1.8 Corolla that hiccuped at the same point of my daily commute, for two weeks and would quickly recover. (Literally within 1/4 of a mile on the highway this happened. I thought some type of microwaves or stray electronic signal at that location was causing the problem.) Finally, after a few weeks, a check engine light! It turns out one of my coils was failing at a certain engine temperature. Replaced the failing coil and 110,000 miles later still going strong. (150k now)

On a side note, I recently replaced all four coils on my daughter’s ‘13 Elantra, after two failures in six months. 65,000 miles. It’s been perfect for the last two months.

#5 ·
The long crank time was happening along with the hiccups when I first saw it. 26yo granddaughter thought all sorts things were going on... brakes locking, squealing sounds..., but didn't flag the initial prob....which ever it was. There was a code for the crank sensor and that resolved the delayed start. It's drive by wire and we really thought the throttle body was the issue, but not. Respected local ASE mechanics scratched their head....but wanted to know what the problem is when it's found. LOL Local Hyundai is booked until 5/11, but the old biker parts guy thought it could even be the oil sensor.
It's cheaper for us to throw parts at it. A coil went bad maybe 5k miles ago, so I changed them all. The killer is the small range where it acts up...and it is like someone just turns it off for a split second. It's push-button start. Amazon sent the wrong plugs when the coils were changed and the old looked surprisingly good, but I changed them now. I'll also do the serpentine and thermostat just to minimize any future problems.
Fingers crossed....thanks for your interest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.