Elantra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one you guys probably never heard of.
My Elantra had a sudden acceleration problem and it crashed into a wall.
Now an investigation is pending but right now I am so irritated with the dealer that I am seeking some advice.

First off, they totally didn't want to hear that the car had a problem. They basically said they only sell the car and that I had to go directly to Hyundai. That's fine but what the service guy at the dealership is doing has me upset.

1: Denies that any of their cars has a "black box" i.e. event data recorder (EDR). (I found that it does in the manual).
2: Said he never heard of the problem when I had printed out the NHTSA reports. (He refused to look at it).
3: After me sending him a link to an online site saying it had an EDR, he says Hyundai TECHNICAL said their cars do not have an event recorder.
http://www.rimkus.com/uploads/pdfs/Event_Data_Recorder.pdf

4: Said Hyundai Corporate said they never had a report of this - even though I have the print out of the NHTSA reports.

Finally, he said all liability is with me and that once the car is repaired he is willing to go and ride with me ONCE to confirm the car works! This such bad service I don't know where to begin.

I would expect him to at least:

Check firmware of the car
Check calibration of the sensors
Look at the EDR with the Hyundai/Kai EDR tool
???? What else. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am not sure if the Dealers have access to the EDR. As that is used mainly by Police, NHTSA for Accident Investigation.

What year? New/Used car?

The new ones have a Drive by Wire system. No Throttle Cables. Don't know when they started with that. My 08 Malibu had one. What I am saying is, Could be the T-Plate Servo. There is a Sensor on the Pedal. Works like a TPS.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts