Elantra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has 203K Miles on it and today when I left for work, it started up after a few more cranks than normal, sputtered a bit and then stalled. I then went to start it again and it would only crank. The fuel was low, but not empty. Normally, the car will have a hard time starting like that when the fuel is low. It is getting colder and those issue are normally amplified. I will list my recent issues with the car below:

• Speedometer jumps all over the place most of the time. Only under throttle does it fixate on the correct speed.

• Check engine light came on a couple of months ago and it was gas cap related. Also related to the fuel tank charcoal filter. After a couple of full tank fill-ups, it went away.

Now, I checked all of the fuses and belts. I pulled the Fuel Pump relay and smelled it and shook it. The one for AC next to it was the same one, so I put it in place of the fuel pump and went to start the car. It had very little power to crank suddenly. So I went back out and placed the relays back in their respective spots. Then I tried to start the car and it cranked even slower until the battery died it seems and the car now has fast clicks when trying to crank.

I could use some serious help getting this poor girl running again. I was unemployed for about 9 months and recently started a new business that is doing well, but I am still strapped for cash and catching up. I also take care of my father at my home who is sick. So, I cant really afford to throw parts at the car and was hoping someone with a little more knowledge could assist me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I charged my battery with a charger a bit for me to test for spark at the coil pack. There is not a spark. I am going to run and purchase a new CPS and see if that fixes things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I realized that when i checked for the spark, I checked plugs 2 and 3. When I replaced the CPS and tested 2 and 3 there was no spark but I switched over to 1 and held it near a ground and I got a spark. I wonder what else it could be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just disconnected the entire rail from the engine and let it sit there and cranked a little to see if there was fuel coming out of any of the injectors. There was no fuel. Do you think that would be a good indicated of a bad fuel pump? I also checked the relay again, bent the pins slightly, in case there was a bad connection and tried again. Nothing, as well as no fuel coming out. Is there any other things that I should check?

I really dont recall hearing the fuel pump priming in the car beforehand. But, then again, I never really listened for it. I dont seem to hear anything when the key is in the run position, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was indeed the fuel pump. Thanks for all of the help and I hope this helps someone else in a similar issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts