Elantra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard Hyundai should do it. I mean why not, might help them gain a foothold in ultra frugal europe.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. If they must use a diesel, it's always best to keep it in one of their smallest cars. I can see this happening

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder where they would get the engine from however. As far as i know Hyundai doesn't have their own diesel to use, dev would be expensive so its likely they would partner with someone else to develop one or simply source one.

Who would the ideal partner be for Hyundai?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea, I don't think Hyundai has a diesel engine to use, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. Probably since they don't have access to a diesel engine it won't happen. I mean what company would Hyundai partner with in order to do so?

·
Registered
23 Posts
VW is the first brand I can think of for diesels. I am not sure what HYundai has that VW would be interested in though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
VW is the first brand I can think of for diesels. I am not sure what HYundai has that VW would be interested in though.
Reliability, build quality, they're just good at making good quality cars. Like another honda.
Even if it's just platform sharing it will help both greatly, cut initial costs by a lot, reduce risk by a good amount.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you think VW is interested in cash? Automakers do this ALL the time, they source an engine from another automaker if they can't or won't build what they need. The competitors dont mind as its simply a boost to their bottom line.

·
Registered
173 Posts
toyota, mercedes, vw, nissan, chrysler, chevy, ford... almost every company has diesel engines, most companies even have small diesels in other countries. A diesel engine is not hard to make. they could easily make their own, but there are plenty of options for sourcing one as well. you can even look outside the mainstream automotive industry. There are tons of companies that make diesel engines for other uses as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many years ago while stationed in korea, there were several mini trucks (like a nissan/toyota) that had small diesels. Many other of their vehicles (hyundai small van/truck) had a diesel. Main thing would be cost to get legal in US. The small truck vans were called Bongos and they were all over the place, so the tech is there, but again the value vs the cost to bring here or europe which is just as bad may not be worth it. Remember it took the europeans a long time to get their engines over here. Ford and others have european small diesels and they have not been inclined to try so that tells some of the problems with US requirements that would cause huge hurdles.

Look at this, its a Kia p[roduct thus a Hyundai product:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Bongo

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's not so much the cost as it is the market for the car. Most people still stay away from diesels because they dont know the good things about them. most people look at the fact that it's more expensive for fuel and only think about the big trucks they see spewing black smoke everywhere. honestly, until more domestic cars here in the us have diesels, the general public wont go for it. I can see this happening in 10-15 years. Right now, however, the germans have the hold on the market, but I think with chevy's new diesel calorado coming out next year, other companies may fallow if it does well. I actually am planning on picking up one of the colorados when they come out. it's been tested in other markets and gets close to 30mpg and is expected to do the same here. I just hope it sells well because it will lead the way for more companies to do the same.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts