Elantra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to see how the range toppers stack up against each other in terms of performance, we're looking at the Japanese and American 3's versus the lone Korean:

Hyundai Elantra Limited: $26,849

1.8L L4 DOHC

HP: 148
T: 131 lb-ft

Ford Focus ST: $31,549

2.0L L4 turbo DOHC

HP:252
T:270 lb-ft

Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: $28,345

1.4L L4 turbo DOHC

HP:138
T:148 lb-ft

Dodge Dart GT: $24,940

2.4L L4 DOHC

HP:184
T:171 lb-ft

Honda Civic Si: $27,745

2.4L L4 DOHC

HP:201
T:170 lb-ft

Toyota Corolla ECO: $23,720

1.8L L4 DOHC VALVEMATIC

HP:140
T:126 lb-ft

Nissan Sentra $19,115

1.8L L4 DOHC

HP:130
T: 128 lb-ft

Performance wise this isn't really the category to be in. The Focus ST is the anomaly performance wise but that also sticks it with the biggest tag. The Sentra is the cheapy here, and performance wise it shows, coming in with slightly more power than an average leaf blower, the Cruze isn't much better.

All vehicles are clustered around the 2.0 mark, many 1.8s and the honda and dodge get up to 2.4L. Curiously the Focus is the only one to employ Turbo power, something i would like to see this segment develop further. Although i can say with certainty no one and i mean NO ONE is going to buy a blown corolla or sentra... but the Cruze and Dart are certainly ripe for T.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The Focus is definately the odd one out for power.

I do really like the new Corolla. The price point is attractive and you can bet it'll last you a long time.

Keep in mind teh Civic Si only comes in manual transmission.

The Dart is also another good option if you trust Dodge as a brand.

The Cruze and Sentra I just dont like how they look.

In this segment you just go for whichever one you like the look of inside and out. And the one you can get the best deal on or whatever brand you are loyal to. They are all competitive cars.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Focus is definately the odd one out for power.

I do really like the new Corolla. The price point is attractive and you can bet it'll last you a long time.

Keep in mind teh Civic Si only comes in manual transmission.

The Dart is also another good option if you trust Dodge as a brand.

The Cruze and Sentra I just dont like how they look.

In this segment you just go for whichever one you like the look of inside and out. And the one you can get the best deal on or whatever brand you are loyal to. They are all competitive cars.
The Dart is essentially an American FIAT, anyone else notice the new Corolla and the Dart look very similar? I agree the Focus is the odd one out in terms of performance, but not in a bad way either, its priced relatively competitive with its lower powered competition.

As for the Elantra, i think its getting a little long in the tooth like the Sonata..

·
Registered
363 Posts
from watching reviews and hearing from real owners of the new Elantra's, I know for a fact they handle great but power is where they suck.

If hyundai throw's in another 50 Hp and 50 Tq it will be amazing!
Forced induction should be the next step for them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I could see them using turbos like everyone else. i fthey are smart they should not even bother with any more 6 cylinders. Instead, they should invest on making the most power output from 4 cylinders and less.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you also forgot to include the much raved Mazda 3
The Mazda is still based on the same platform as the Focus, i felt it would be irrelevant.

Agreed to the points above about the Elantra needing turbo power. Hyundai could do a top trim level similar to the Focus ST, maybe like what they have for the Genesis. An Elantra R-spec with twin turbos or something silly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts