Elantra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked through several sites and posts and haven't found an answer, so I've come to this forum to see if anyone can help.

I recently purchased a 2011 GLS Elantra. It's been a good ride, but there's one snag that I haven't been able to resolve. All of the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel are inoperable (Cruise control and trip computer). This appears to be a standard clockspring problem, but it has been replaced twice with no success. The media/call buttons, on the other hand, function flawlessly (left hand side buttons).

During the three months I've had the car, the right-side buttons have only worked once, while I was stopped at a traffic light. They stopped working after I continued driving.

My guess is that there is a problem with connectivity. I replaced the clockspring, as previously stated, but I also tried new steering wheel buttons and a new cable that connects the buttons to the clockspring. I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem before, or if anyone has access to the steering wheel wiring diagrams that include these wires, so I can check for continuity and see if I can find the source.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you found the issue? I'm having the same issue, but don't have the tools to check what you've checked so far. Trying to get as much info as possible before thinking of taking it to a shop to get it fixed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, no. I'm still looking for a solution. I checked for continuity and there is continuity from the buttons all the way to the instrument cluster. I'm suspecting the instrument cluster to be bad, but I haven't been able to test that.

I even checked if the connection to the ECM was loose and cleaned the connector with compressed air, nothing.
Have you found the issue? I'm having the same issue, but don't have the tools to check what you've checked so far. Trying to get as much info as possible before thinking of taking it to a shop to get it fixed.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yours might get solved with a new clockspring, as I've seen from other cases. Give that a try. Or maybe an electrician can help you determine the issue, I haven't been able to find one that knows enough about these cars to help me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts