Elantra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that have a 2014 sedan, or maybe previous models are similar, what are your thoughts on the Eco mode?

I've been keeping Eco turned on, especially in the city, because it seems to help. I'm going to start using fuelly to track mileage better, but I am not getting as good as I kind of hoped. I know gas mileage varies so drastically depending on how you drive, the environment, and a lot of other factors.

So far in the month or so that I have had my Elantra I am getting about 24/25 in the city and about 30/31 on the highway.

If there's another thread about gas mileage and the eco mode, I'm sorry....I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Eco mode changes shift points for better economy. I dont think it does much more than that. Maybe a mild remap to use less fuel/less hp. Im not sure about that one tho. It definitely improves gas mileage. I have a 2014 w/ the 2.0L and I get 40 MPG highway and low 30s city. I average 32-34 MPG per tank. Its stick shift so Eco mode just suggests when to upshift, but I turned it off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best MPG I have gotten so far is 35 on the HWY and I average 27-29 in the city. I don't use Eco much because I have noticed it does change the shift points and makes acceleration lag which I just don't like lol. But, I have an automatic and I have the 1.8L.

·
Registered
171 Posts
We have a 2013 Coupe (automatic eco on) and combined our MPG is upper 20s. I've gotten over 40 on the highway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've gotten over 40 on the highway (without eco on). I get about 24-27 in the city (without eco).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there, new member and first post (Hey! Lol....). I just bought a 2014 Elantra SE automatic. I've got roughly 550 miles on it so far, with Eco turned on, and average around 35-36 MPG on the highway. I live very close to the highway and my work is also right off the highway. Roundtrip, it's about 65 miles a day. The car was purchased as a second vehicle for work. For me, just the vehicle in general is helping as the other vehicle did 21 MPG at best.. lol. I used to fill up twice a week at 50-60 dollars at a time. Now it's once a week, at like 30-40 dollars. I love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome. One of the reasons I bought an Elantra was because of the good gas mileage. So why would I turn off the ECO button? Doesn't make sense, especially that the ECO function is overridden in certain conditions. Ever noticed the slack at around 1,800 rpm? I make the car up-shift before that. Every Elantra I drove so far, I easily get at least 40 mpg on the higway, on interstates with speed limit of 55 mph I get at least 42 mpg. City mileage is irrelevant, especially since we wall have different kind of city driving conditions. Once you learn how to drive efficiently, you also will get at least 40 mpg on the highway. Remember, that is the top mpg, not the average!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried Eco on my new 2014 Limited and found I got worse gas mileage than without it (25mpg average city)! I don't drive like a very old lady and according to the manual, if you drive like I do, ECO won't help. I just got back from a trip to Yosemite and drove constantly up and down mountains in 95-100 degree weather and averaged 37-40mpg with the air conditioning on the whole time so I don't think I really need ECO mode. Now when my wife drives it, that's another story. ECO mode would probably be great for her! lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm getting around 34-35, in mixed driving here. I have Eco on, I may try turning it off, to see if it does better.
Btw, I moved to the 0W-30 full sync. Oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've driven a 2014 elantra GLS on two different occasions over 400 miles each trip, and I usually set the cruise control to 80MPH. During this time I have achieved right around 39 MPG. I have Eco turned on and also I leave the shifter in manual mode....during toll booth stops and traffic congestion, it really helps to use manual. I shift waaaay before I need to, and while yes it is slow to get up to speed, it works. During a 40 mile stretch on a flat highway at sea level with no stops, I slowed to 55 MPH and set cruise, and at the end of the 40 miles, the car averaged exactly 50.0 MPG!! I sat in the seat watching the numbers creep up and I was rooting for the car. 50 MPG without radiating my body with Prius batteries? I'll take it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's pretty awesome! But, I do have one comment on your post. You said you drove an Elantra GLS?? Are you referring to the Elantra SE? I have the 2014 SE model. There is no longer a GLS model Elantra. It is SE, Sport, and Limited. Not nit-picking really, just checking.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts