Elantra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to know if anyone has figured out how to disable the seat belt chime?

Fords have a technique on how to do it, just need to find out if there is one and where is it posted.

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
I highly doubt it as it is a safety feature, but if it is I bet a factory scan tool would be involved. On many vehicles with a CAN bus system the factory scan tool can go into the different data blocks (such as headlight operations, radio functions, AC settings, chimes/warnings...) and edit them, however it all depends on what the manufacturer has left unlocked.

·
Registered
80 Posts
why is it any of our responsibility if he wears his seat belt or not? Freedom is the choice of doing what you wish with the life you've been given. Don't forget that...

@hank857 often times its as simple as yanking a fuse. Although some companies have started baking the seatbelt chime into other features to curb that approach...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well you can wear the belt WITHOUT the chime, but there are times when you move the vehicle and dont need the belt and the chime will drive you nuts. IE disconnecting from the towbar and driving around to park, or moving the vehicle around the yard/drive!

And I do not believe the chime is a 'safety item', the seat belts are considered as being but not the chime or light.

·
Registered
137 Posts
why is it any of our responsibility if he wears his seat belt or not?
And why is it any of YOUR responsibility to chastise me for offering my honest opinion ??

Just for the record, I think it is proper for the government to require seat belts in cars....BUT.....I am NOT in favor of "nanny" laws that make it a crime not to use them.

In a free country, which we really aren't, I think you should be free to be stupid too.......as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

·
Registered
173 Posts
well you can wear the belt WITHOUT the chime, but there are times when you move the vehicle and dont need the belt and the chime will drive you nuts. IE disconnecting from the towbar and driving around to park, or moving the vehicle around the yard/drive!

And I do not believe the chime is a 'safety item', the seat belts are considered as being but not the chime or light.
I'll reword the safety item comment, as I too agree the chime and lights tehmselves are not safety items, but they are part of a safety system. The only way I could see "turning it off" without a factory scantool would be opening up the buckle and completing the contact surface circuit by splicing in a wire. for that you would need to know which wires in there are for the contact surfaces. It would disable the chime, but the car would think your seatbelt is on all the time. Two disclaimers, this would void your warranty if a technician notices it and reports it. Also, Some vehicles have the airbags tied into the seatbelt system so messing with wiring in your buckle could set off an airbag.

·
Registered
80 Posts
And why is it any of YOUR responsibility to chastise me for offering my honest opinion ??

Just for the record, I think it is proper for the government to require seat belts in cars....BUT.....I am NOT in favor of "nanny" laws that make it a crime not to use them.

In a free country, which we really aren't, I think you should be free to be stupid too.......as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.
you were not chastised, you were asked a question. Perhaps it came on a little strong, for that I apologize.

Notice how I made no mention of a free country, because as you correctly stated we are not and never will be again.

The best was in my old 04 Escape you could silence the seat belt chime wimply by yanking the belt, weren't those the days...

check this wikihow, its basically what BKohs was describing.

http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-a-Seat-Belt-Alarm

or check out this site https://www.buyclicknstay.com/?MID=1429892 its a seat belt click in to use to keep your dog put, but the little plastic piece could save you from having to dig under the seats and crawl through wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
173 Posts
...completing the contact surface circuit by splicing in a wire. ...
You'll have to excuse this part of my post. You wouldn't have to complete the circuit, you would have to open the circuit. Again, you'll have to excuse me, i'm going on very little sleep for the past few days. I have a very unhappy newborn at home.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You'll have to excuse this part of my post. You wouldn't have to complete the circuit, you would have to open the circuit. Again, you'll have to excuse me, i'm going on very little sleep for the past few days. I have a very unhappy newborn at home.
you dont even have to go into the buckle. Just head under the seat and find the wires before they head into the buckle. Just cut and tape.

Although do make sure they're not linked to any other systems.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I believe there are two ways of doing this. The first is to unplug the connector under the seat. The second is buy a "dummy" seat belt insert. Here's a link. I know in some cars there are procedures you can go through to tell the car to turn it off. I've had two cars like this but I cant find any info on how to do this. If it were me I'd go with the dummy inserts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bell sounds even when I have the seatbelt on!

HELP! I need to disable the chime as it keeps going off periodically even when I have the seatbelt buckled! It's driving me crazy!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Solved!

We finally unbolted the drivers seat and unplugged the connection underneath. It's wonderful to be able to drive without the annoying dinging!:smile:

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you want to do it so you don't have to wear your seat belt, just do like I did and find some old junk seat belts in a crappy car and cut the seat belt so you can just use the clicker. Quick and easy. I only use mine at night when it's dark and the po-po can't see me anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Fords have a technique on how to do it, just need to find out if there is one and where is it posted.

Thanks

Thanks
You can plug in the passenger seatbelt or cut an extra out of a totaled car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts