Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two 2013 Elantras and by sheer luck I ended up with one made in Korea and one made in the US. Although they are the exact same model with the exact same trim option, I have noticed some differences. The one that's bugging me the most is the maintenance schedule. The MD (Korean) model says that the coolant should be changed for the first time at 120k miles, but the UD (US) model says it needs to be changed at 60k miles.

I can't understand why they would have such a big difference in that maintenance item. Is there a difference in the coolant that was used at the two plants? Do the cooling systems use different materials in some components?

If anyone has any insight on this I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That is very interesting and kind of cool.

To be safe I'd change both at 60k miles. Its cheap. It could be a different kind of coolant. But I'd fill both with the same after 60k.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It could be a different kind of coolant. But I'd fill both with the same after 60k.
It could be that something was "lost in the translation too".
Maybe a conversion from KM to Miles.

Anyhow, I don't trust much of any normal maintenance items on a car engine beyond 60-80K miles or 5 years; plugs, coolant, brake fluid, transmission, etc.

Better safe than sorry, I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts