Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did Hyundai abuse the "GT" name by using it for it's newest Elantra hatchback?

"GT" was once a name given to sporty vehicles, a lot of coupes were refereed to as a "GT" meaning Gran Touring, Gran Turismo, etc. But did they abuse the GT name by using it on it's elantra hatchback?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think they were going for GT styling, but yeah, at first glance it seems a bit disingenuous. Even it they just upped the engine to a GDI or a smallish turbo, that would have been enough. I've not heard of anyone being told it has any more power by a salesperson, so at least that is nice that they are not trying to outright fool people.

Personally, I did my research and knew the deal, so it does not bother me. I would hope that perhaps next year there might at least be some sort of higher performance engine option for those that want it. I like the 1.8 as I am a lightfoot anyway, so the decent mileage for mediocre power trade off is fine for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i think the name is perfectly suitable for the elanta hatchback. just look at what other car makers are doing, bmw for example, they have a non-sports car GT. It's the BMW Gran Turismo, which serves a purpose similar to the elantra

bmw gran turismo

·
Registered
14 Posts
Abuse of GT

I absolutely do think they did abuse the moniker. It doesn't mean much in the states but the car is by no means a GT. The need for a new model name is driven by gas mileage CAFE standards that have to be met. The more "models" that get 30+mpg, the more compliant the company is. I could think of 100 more names that would be more appropriate than GT, but why not just call them Elantra, with three different body styles?

·
Registered
13 Posts
The GT badging goes back to earlier Elantras. Hyundai offered their Elantra with stiffer suspension among other upgrades, mostly styling and design. They brought the GT back because there was a big following backing the Hatchback design. Grand Touring also does not exclusively mean that the car is a "sports car" Grand Touring has been used to describe many features of a car model across several brands.

With that said, I wish the GT model offered a bit more in the performance catagory. But as the Elantra GT has always been very dear to me ( a lot o fgreat memories made in the 02 I owned :D ) perhaps I am just bias and over excited that the GT was brought back and the ugly Elantra Touring was canned. :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
GT throughout all car companies mostly seems to be more of a styling thing, Pontiac probably being the one to under-do the badge the worst. But I also agree that I knew what my car was when I bought it so I'm not really disappointed. That being said, it would be nice for Hyundai's Elantra GT to be able to keep up with some of the sportier hatches like the GTI, WRX and Focus ST.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wait, the Elantra hatchback GT doesn't have anymore power or capabilities than its non-GT sibling? I can understand the styling part of the GT badge, but I think the GT badge needs to come with some performance upgrades for it to be legitimate.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Touring cars are passenger cars, no abuse. A true grand tourer is a vehicle intended for long-distance spirited travel in both comfort and style.

Just becasue the Elantra GT doesn't have any horsepower gains, it could be lighter or more nimble than Elantra sedan...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Touring cars are passenger cars, no abuse. A true grand tourer is a vehicle intended for long-distance spirited travel in both comfort and style.

Just becasue the Elantra GT doesn't have any horsepower gains, it could be lighter or more nimble than Elantra sedan...
This is true. But making a car lighter isn't easy, making it light to a point that the reduced weight makes a significant difference is expensive. Hyundai is better off adding a turbo or bigger engine to help the Elantra GT or any Elantra be better.

·
Registered
173 Posts

I just looked up the specs and the GT is actually about 100lbs heavier than the sedan. I was quite suprised by this. The only thing is hatches usually corner better and considering the GT is based on the I30 and not the Elantra it has a shorter wheel base. I would be very interested to see a track test of the two side by side to see which fairs better in the twisties. I'm willing to bet the sedan would be better in a drag race, but the GT would come out on top for a road course. I will say I think the GT name was just a marketing tool and not an actual classification for the car, but based on the looks the GT badge works well for it. To truly make it a "GT" i would say slap the Veloster turbo motor in it, stiffen the rear end up a little, and call it a day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Actually to waken a dead sleeper that has been wrong, The GT badge is quite properly attached to the Elantra. The Ford Mustang is who misrepresented the GT logo on a sports car. GT meant exactly what it was called Grand Touring and that in no means represents sporty. It is for comfort and travel, hence TOURING. Made to go long distances and be comfortable and economical in the process. The Elantra has exactly what is called for to be a true GT. The real sport monikers for sport are T/A and R/T. Ever since Ford decided to take upon themselves and wrongly use GT on their junk several have followed suit but also are wrong. Even video games misuse GT. Bottom line is, the Wagon Queen Family Truckster is more GT than anything else on the road. Don't take my word for it though, you might think you hate it now, but wait till you drive it.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts